How about white Friday?

I HATE shopping!…Watching the morning news today I see lines of people all lined up for “door buster” , “black Friday” deals.  I can not imagine wanting ANYTHING so much that I would be in that environment today.  So rather than “black Friday, I think I will do a white Friday.  I have a white quilt to work on.

I do have some other work to do today, I am teaching a Christmas floral design workshop tomorrow so I will need to spend some time getting ready for that. (The smell of fresh evergreens would put anyone in a holiday mood!)

Maybe Sunday it will be time to get some decorating done for home.

Happy Friday (however you spend it)

26 thoughts on “How about white Friday?

1. Sue says:

Such a lovely white Friday, Tim! I’m with you in that I hate to shop and certainly wouldn’t be doing it today. I’ve become a big fan of shopping by way of the Internet 😀 when I have to shop.

I can smell the evergreens from here! Aaahhh.

2. Ann Hancock says:

Boy, that post brought back great memories of the Saturday Morning Gardener Holiday Centerpiece class- the smell of the evergreens was so heavenly! I am with you- I hate the Mall Scene. I did it when I had to, but these days, I can pick my times. I’ll go to Country Stitches Small Business Saturday sale, though! Enjoy the white quilt project. It may be my favorite of all your projects yet. So beautiful….

3. Karen says:

I do not like shopping and would not be anywhere in line at a store on Thanksgiving evening or Friday morning at 2 AM or whatever time they open at – insanity to the extreme – I slept until 7 then sat in my robe browsing over the black Friday deals on the on line quilt shops and found nothing that I wanted so much that I needed to order – a much easier way to shop I think then standing in line being trampled.
    Love the white work!!

4. I totally agree! I am in Canada and Black Friday is very quickly catching on, unfortunately. Love to see your progress on your white quilt! Very inspiring!

5. Tim, your whole cloth is really coming alive. Just wonderful! No shopping for me either!

6. cmosey says:

I’m with you on the Black Friday thing. YUCK! Your whole cloth quilt is beyond beautiful, Tim. Can’t wait to see it in person!

I stay away from crowds ,too. But what if there was a store that just opened and it was full of vintage tops and blocks that were very low in price and there were so many that they would not run out of them. Would you stand in line for those? I would!

welllllll…ok I might….but then who would be there but quilt people….a crowd of quilt people I can handle….its a crowd of 200 people fighting over 25 60″ televisions that scares me

8. timquilts says:

I am so glad to hear from all the comments that I am not alone in wanting to avoid the shopping craziness! Hope everyone had a great day!

9. Barb in southeastern PA says:

Tim — your quilt is beautiful. I love the feather design. But I do have to admit that I was at JoAnn’s at 6 when they opened — the $20 Ott lights were too good to pass up — no lines, in and out by 6:05, then able to enjoy the rest of the day.

10. llcronise@cox.net says:

Hi Tim, I found some beautiful red sateen fabric at the quilt shop yesterday. I didn’t buy any because I wanted to ask your opinion first. It is extra wide at 118″. I wanted to make a whole cloth lap size quilt with wool batting. What color thread would you use to quilt it?? If I use red it might not show up and if I use white maybe my stitches aren’t that good and it would look terrible. What would you do?? I will wait for your advice. Linda in VA

sounds like great fabric!…I think if it were me I would use thread to match….I am doing a white one now and using white thread, and the quilting is showing up fine….I have done quilting with contrasting thread and I like the look but it does make the stitch variation show more

11. Siobhan says:

Your quilting is wonderful…makes me think of pulling out a marked white-work top I’ve had in the “to-do” pile for several years! I did get some decorating done yesterday…wreath on the door and Christmas cactus in the baskets by the fireplace….

I made a wreath as a demo in class today, that will go on the door and that will be it for decorating untill tomorrow ….but lots to do…and it is fun (but I would rather quilt)

12. Dawn says:

I am with you Tim. No black friday for me or sat or monday either. We have lost the real spirit of Christmas.

13. audrey says:

Your quilt is really coming along! Absolutely beautiful work.

14. Karen says:

I too need another ott light for the table the sewing machine is on but I’m not getting up to go to a store at 6AM to do it 🙂

• Barb in southeastern PA says:

Since I usually get up about 5:30, and JoAnn’s is 10 minutes away, I loved that the store opened early — great way to start the day, and beat the lines. Only problem was the layer of frost on the car that needed to be removed.

15. Cathi says:

I avoid shopping and crowds at all costs. Nothing is worth that madness. Your White Friday is a much better idea — and much more beautiful!

Comments

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )