More Quilt Blocks…Cheddar, Madder and Old.

I got another lot of quilt blocks that I won on eBay.

2012_013112-2-120003

I love these blocks!  The fabrics are beautiful. I would place the date between 1860 and 1880.  If you look at some of the fabrics you can see that they were once purple.  Fugitive purple dyes used at the time tend to turn a grey brown over time, but some retain a purple cast.

2012_013112-2-1200072012_013112-2-120006

The hand piecing is expertly done.

2012_013012-2-120015

If I set the blocks together It will be something like this

2012_013112-2-120001

I could set them on point

2012_013112-2-120010

I can not find this block in any of my books (it seems so simple and yet I can’t find it) so I am unsure of how it would be traditionally set.  If I set it on point I get a lot of room to quilt!

Here are a bunch of pictures so you can see the fabrics.

27 thoughts on “More Quilt Blocks…Cheddar, Madder and Old.

1. Sue says:

Those are very pretty, Tim. I like the idea of setting them on point so that you can showcase your quilting, but then again, I can see some lovely quilting in the cheddar with them set as they are in the first picture. Either way, they are pretty and I’m sure you will whip up something!

2. Regan Martin says:

The fabrics are so beautiful……but your quilting will make this stunning! Of course you should put it on point for the opportunity to do your magic!

3. Siobhan says:

I like the strong secondary design these blocks have when they are not on point. There is still space for hand quilting to shine…plus you could do some great quilting in the border!

Well now I know that the post office cannot be trusted because I do believe that those blocks were sent to the wrong address AGAIN and it should have come to my mail box!

5. Angie says:

WOW! Thanks for sharing!

6. adaisygarden says:

Wow! What great blocks! What fun to try to figure out how to best set them. 🙂 I’m sure you will do a terrific job. (I’m going to check on ebay right now for any quilts or quilt blocks!)

7. audrey says:

I love set together with the cheddar acting as background! Beautiful find for sure!

Thanks…I think that is the setting I am leaning to now…but I keep going back and forth…the real advantage to setting on point is that I can get a much larger quilt ….but the other setting shows the cheddar better

8. Those blocks are wonderful! I always prefer to stick to the original piecer’s intent. I love the look of the secondary cheddar blocks. Either way, have fun!

I just wish I knew what the original piecer’s intent was….set on point it does make a full sized quilt….set together it is pretty small, but maybe a small quilt was the intention

9. antarabesque says:

I am in accordance with Siobhan. The cheddar design is fabulous. Another great find.

10. njquilter24 says:

OMG you have to set it with the cheddar, that cheddar is incredible
    I love the secondary design (my favorite btw in quilts) and the cheddar with these madders, just perfect.
    I think there is plenty of room for your amazing quilting…
    thanks for sharing these, of course now I will be thinking about these all day long!
    Kathie

11. Vicki says:

Stunning blocks – lucky you! The cheddar makes them sing. Thanks for sharing

12. I am so glad they found your home. I was watching them on Ebay and missed when they sold. A very good deal if ask me. You will make them into a masterpiece

I do love a good cheddar — these are great.

14. […] On Dec 2 I posted about some antique quilt blocks that I purchased  (see the here:  https://timquilts.com/2012/12/02/more-quilt-blocks-cheddar-madder-and-old/) […]

15. […] On Dec 2 I posted about some antique quilt blocks that I purchased  (see the here:  https://timquilts.com/2012/12/02/more-quilt-blocks-cheddar-madder-and-old/) […]

Comments