Snowflake Pattern

I have had a few people ask about patterns for snowflakes.  I don’t use a pattern, I draw each one out differently, but I scanned one before I cut it out. Here is the PDF file snowflake pattern

see this post for instructions on folding

The snowflake was made with an 18″ square piece of paper.  If you print the PDF you can transfer the design to your own 18″ folded snowflake with carbon paper. If you want to make it smaller you will need to adjust the print size to fit your folded paper.

Here is the snowflake cut but still folded

2012_0131snowflakes-howto0002

you can see my sketch lines, I try to follow the lines as much as I can but sometimes my sketch exceeds my cutting skill.   I really need a good pair of paper cutting scissors.  I bought what I thought was going to be great, a spring-loaded small Martha Stewart pair that come to a very sharp point….worthless junk!  They barely cut through one layer of paper let alone 6!

Anyway here it is opened 1/2 way

2012_0131snowflakes-howto0003

and all the way opened

2012_0131snowflakes-howto0005

Here is one with angels,  sorry I didn’t copy the pattern on this one.

2012_0131snowflakes-howto0008

2012_0131snowflakes-howto0009

Now I need to get back to quilting!

If you make some snowflakes I would love to see them!

I have put together a PDF of instructions and patterns which is available at my Etsy store https://www.etsy.com/shop/timquilts

53 thoughts on “Snowflake Pattern

1. Siobhan says:

I like to use stencils when I dust my flourless chocolate cake with confectionery sugar…these could make some wonderful designs!

Thanks! You might want to investigate this website: http://www.kaiscissors.com I own 3 pair and they are superior scissors! Sharp enough to handle them like a rotary cutter!

3. Jeanette says:

This brings bacl a wonderful memory. when raising my kids, they would cut intricate flakes( not as beautiful as yours) . They were lovely and we put them in the kitchen windows for the holidays and most of the winter.
    I saved some for many years in a big book…..You are a wonderful artist. Your ideas are so stimulating.Thanks Tim.

Thanks Jeanette, The beautiful part of Christmas is the lovely memories, thanks for sharing some of yours…I can just imagine the kitchen window…I might need to hang a few in mine

4. njquilter24 says:

oh I love the idea of these in the windows.
    we used to do that with our kids snowflakes, theres were so simple though, in the window for the winter, they loved making them.
    Cake decorating is another great idea and of course I want to use them for hand quilt stencils 🙂
    just beautiful thanks for sharing
    Kathie

5. Cassandra says:

Wow! Those are gorgeous. Snowflakes are lovely and I don’t think I’ve ever seen any as intricate as yours.

Thanks Cassandra..I have been having a lot of fun with them….mostly I make them fairly simple, but the intricate designs are fun…another outlet for creativity

6. Sandra says:

You should matt these and sell them! Like silhouettes. I buy them when I travel and find them. I love those!~

7. Sue says:

Gosh, Tim! These are just gorgeous! I have been cutting mine out here at the house, but I’m gonna have to use vellum or some kind of tissue paper because after all the thicknesses, it’s a bit tough to cut!

8. Kelly says:

Your snowflakes are amazing, thanks for sharing!

9. Helen says:

Tim your snowflakes are absolutely beautiful…your quilting is pretty spectacular too

10. Tim, I have a new computer and its still like a toddler. I was typing a message to you about vintage quilt repair and hit something wrong and can’t find it again. I was part of a group led by Gayle Berg of Walla Walla, Wa. for 8 yrs. We were responsible for cleaning and repairs of a collection of quilts dated from the early 1800s. There is a Latimer Quilt Museum in La Conner, Wa. have featured artists several times a yr. I think the best time to go is in the spring as it is a flower bulb farming area (La Conner to about Mount Vernon). Acres and acres of beauty fields at different stages of bloom. I think it would be a trip especially suited to you. I also hand quilt many of my own creations and have a collection of only 37 vintage quilts, many restored by me from what I learned from Gayle. We used to yard sale in Walla2 and they would often have estate sales with quilts. Unbelievably, I purchased a Jacob’ Ladder for $2.00 from about 1880. I have enjoyed your blog and expect to return. I hope my “book” has some worth to you. My email is not yet set up.

11. WOW! You are the absolute most talented snowflake maker I’ve ever seen!!!

12. […] Last year I did several posts about making snowflakes and posted a pattern here (https://timquilts.com/2012/12/03/snowflake-pattern/) […]

13. mary beaver says:

Beautiful work. I think the snow flakes look like lace, so i trim shelves, make table runners, use them like doilys, use them on packages. I love your designs. A few years ago I saw some intricate ones at a Doctor’s Clinic and was inspired.

14. Eileen Mele says:

Mexican people have a form of paper cutting for the Holidays. Using one color of paper. Then many colors strung along. Love them. Don’t recall what they are called. Happy to see you say something Martha Stewart sell is junk!

15. […] all the blog posts I have done The post about making snowflakes has been the most […]

16. Meredith says:

These are beautiful! You might want to try sketching with Frixion gel pens. After cutting, run a hot iron over the paper and the marks will disappear. Thanks for the instructions!

17. Kathy says:

Thanks a lots for sharing, you have the fairy’s fingers…
    K. Lévêque

18. jacky says:

you are so clever your snowflakes are beautiful x

19. JOZART says:

Many thanks for sharing your expertise . I am going to try to use your lovely snowflake templates as appliqué designs for a Christmas panel.

20. JoZart says:

Many thanks for sharing your expertise. I am going to try to use your lovely snowflake templates as appliqué for a Christmas panel.

21. What a wonderful thing to brag to my friends about it in my school! They’ll like it! I’ll stick it on my door so that I could win the door decorating contest.

22. Kathryn L says:

I’ve never seen anything like this, so intricate! A snowflake cut out in white fabric and appliqued onto a solid colored fabric would make an awesome throw!

23. Joyce says:

To the deer snowflake what size paper do you need and how do you fold the paper to cut it out,,,,plz someone help me,,,thank you

Comments