A Splash Of Color

I bought myself an early Christmas present from eBay and it arrived yesterday.  I have no idea yet how I will quilt it.

Here are a few examples of similar quilts from the Quilt Index

They aren’t quilted, they are tied quilts.  That makes sense to me because of the foundation piecing.

$(KGrHqF,!pEFB)uLB1O4BQv-z8fKbQ~~60_57

The strips are sewn to a piece of fabric first and then the squares are sewn together to make the top. The extra layer of fabric makes traditional quilting more difficult.

Mine is 80″ x 88″ and it is in pretty good condition.  This is the first top of this kind that I have purchased, and I do not know a lot about dating this kind of fabric.  A few of the strips of fabric are deteriorating.

2012_0213slik-top0001

I Imagine there are people who are experts at Identifying old muslin sacks…this top has one section with printing on it.

2012_0213slik-top0008

Here are pictures of the blocks, and the backing. (click to enlarge)

10 thoughts on “A Splash Of Color

1. Sharon Eshlaman says:

I love the orange! Nice buy 🙂

2. Karen Beauregard says:

To me, the top one cries out for a lovely variety of crazy quilting embroidery work first – if you haven’t done much of that yet, try it – I think you’d love it. And there’s no end to the creative options you could do with it. I can loan you some stitch books if you have any interest. Karen

I have thought of the embroidery work and I might do that….I don’t know when that will be…..I have 5 quilts in some stage of hand quilting right now….and 3 in the piecing stage

Hmmmm…I think you buy yourself Christmas presents all year long! 🙂

4. audrey says:

Wow! I love the colors in this one. Looks like you have another challenge!

5. Grace Thorne says:

i inherited an old sugar sack quilt, clearly says “domino” and “revere” on the foundations….neat!

Comments

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )