Christmas Eve

Happy, happy Christmas, that can win us back to the delusions of our childish days; that can recall to the old man the pleasures of his youth; that can transport the sailor and the traveller, thousands of miles away, back to his own fire-side and his quiet home! ~Charles Dickens, The Pickwick Papers, 1836

It is hard to believe it is already Christmas Eve! I was thinking back to being a kid today and thought I would share a few pictures.

I went to a Catholic School and the school principal was a very talented artist.  Sister Rose Ellen made the Christmas decorations for the church. (The Chuch of the Holy Innocents in Roseville MI)  I remember the year she did it, all the figures in the nativity cut form various fabrics and attached to the wall.

12-24-2012 09;11;52AM_1

Sister Rose Ellen would have been a great quilter!

I admired this so much that I went to LeeWards and bought a Bucilla Tree skirt kit and made this (in 1979 or so)

I like the one in church better.  It has been years since I have been in Roseville….I wonder if they are still using it?

My Mom and Dad were in the Choir…and I love Choir music, here is a Christmas Eve favorite…I  couldn’t find one with Mom and Dad so it is Kings College

Of course the other excitement as a kid was the next day!

When I was in Highschool and College I worked at a Greenhouse.  I grew a poinsettia tree that lived in the Greenhouse until Christmas and then on the  front stairs for a few weeks in December before going back to the greenhouse

12-24-2012 09;11;52AM

Christmas is not a time or a season but a state of mind. To cherish peace and good will, to be plenteous in mercy, is to have the real spirit of Christmas. If we think on these things, there will be born in us a Savior and over us will shine a star sending its gleam of hope to the world.”
~ Calvin Coolidge (1872-1933), American president. Presidential message (December 25, 1927).

Merry Christmas!

30 thoughts on “Christmas Eve

1. Karen Beauregard says:

Such precious memories – thank you for sharing, Tim. And Merry, Merry Christmas to you! Beau

2. karen says:

Merry Christmas Tim! thanks for sharing

3. Sharon Eshlaman says:

Happy Holidays to you and Teddy. Thanks for the lovely thoughts, memories and pictures.

4. Linda Mullins says:

Very nice quote from Dickens, I think I may have to “borrow” this one. Merry Christmas, Tim.

5. lms48 says:

Very nice quote from Dickens, Tim. I may have to “borrow” this one. Merry Christmas.

6. realgffood says:

Merry Christmas, Tim!

7. Such cute pictures! We had a big pageant at my school, too. You brought back some really nice memories. Merry Christmas!

Merry Christmas! I was looking for a picture of you with a Red Rider Bee-bee gun! LOL!

9. Ann Hancock says:

What a wonderful post. Loved seeing pictures of your church and you on Christmas morning! What happy memories…and great quotes too.

Just finished listening to “A Ceremony of Nine Lessons and Carols” while I was making our coffee cake for tomorrow morning., one of my favorite Christmas traditions!
    (The service, not the cake)
    Your Poinsettia Tree was awesome!

Merry Christmas to all, and a Happy New Year too!

10. Every one of your posts is a gift to us. Thank you for all the beauty that you share. Love the glimpse of your youth and the influences that inspired you.

11. Kathleen Campbell says:

Thank you for sharing these photos and church story. Merry Christmas to you and Sister Rose Ellen( whereever she might be).

12. Louise says:

Merry Christmas Tim and Teddy!!

13. Sharon Cratsenbur says:

We use to go to Holy Innocents church about 28 years ago. It was a wonderful parish. Merry Christmas and thans for sharing.

14. Carla says:

Merry Christmas, Tim, your post reminded me of my childhood Christmas. My dad used to make grave blankets and centerpieces, I can stills smell pine.

15. njquilter24 says:

Merry Christmas Tim
    I hope you have a magical day!
    Kathie

16. Siobhan says:

Merry Christmas Tim! My Dad was the choir director at our church so many hours were spent practicing the weeks before Christmas…

Comments