Antique Pomegranate Quilt Blocks

My Antique Pomegranate quilt blocks arrived today.  There are 8 blocks and they are 26″ square.

The centers are pieced, the little hexagons that make up the centers are 1 inch.  The orangey brown was once red and the teal was likely more green.  I think They date from about 1880 based on the pattern and fabrics, and similar quilts I found.  The are from Texas.  They have a Pennsylvania Dutch feel to them similar to “Hex Signs”  (click picture to go to a hex sign site)

however a very similar pattern, #14.847 in Brackman’s Encyclopedia of Applique is from Tennessee.  And this quilt from the quilt index is from North Carolina. (click picture to go to the full record)

Here is a very similar quilt from the Benton County Historical Society and Museum (click picture to go to the museum site)

Appliqué & pieced pomegranate wheel pattern

I think the quilting on this one is amazing! And I plan to use my blocks to make a similar quilt.

Here are some pictures of the blocks (click to enlarge)

I will need to find some fabric to use for the border that will coordinate.  I know I won’t be able to find a match, but I want to find something close.  I have a million projects in line so I don’t know when I will get to this one but I love the blocks.  I do plan to draft a pattern from them and some day might make a new quilt with this block.

I added more quilts to my Etsy store.  I now have 5 for sale See them here

10 thoughts on “Antique Pomegranate Quilt Blocks

1. These really are wonderful! And I agree with you totally that the quilting on the 2nd quilt is amazing and would be a great pattern to use with these. Thanks for sharing!

2. Lee Ann says:

WoW, can’t wait to see how you put them together. Where in Texas do you know? Love your blog and following you on FB. Happy Quilting!

3. Lynn Seamark says:

I love these blocks too. I saw them, but I already have so many unfinished projects, I didn’t bid. I was thinking that If got them, I would have cut away the outer edge of the square and set them in a circle – This would have eliminated a lot of the damage and discoloring/stains that probably won’t come out soaking them. Will love to see what you do with them!

The circle cut is exactly what I was thinking of doing….some of the stains and damage just cant be worked around…..I will post pictures when I start to work on them so you can see how they look

4. Sharon Snow says:

I really love these blocks. Can’t wait to see what you do with them but I’m sure it will be amazing as usual!

5. Sharon Snow says:

I don’t know if it would help on your stains or not but have you thought about borax detergant booster or laundry bar soap ( the old fashion kind), I make our own laundry soap out of laundry bar soap, borax & arm & hammer washing soda . It gets about everything out if it will come out. The Bar soap can be Zote, Fels Napha,Ivory Laundry saop just to name a few. Great thing about them is they are all Chlorine-free.

I am going to have to be very careful with these…the fabric is not at all color fast and I fear that even plain water will remove all the dye…..I am still uncertain if I will wash them at all….but If I do I will give your Ideas a try
      thanks

Comments

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )