A Few Updates

Earlier I posted about finishing the cheddar quilt top

antique Cheddar Quilt top

I neglected to add some close up pictures of the border fabric.   I got a new camera today and I have been having new camera issues but I got a few pictures of the border fabric.

010 005

It is hard to tell from the pictures but the grayish looking fabric is more a lavender gray and the design is cheddar and madder.  I am trying to learn how to get accurate color with the new camera but I need to learn the new settings.

Teddy (who is in great need of a bath and grooming) was a good model for trying out the camera, as was my whole cloth quilt….I will get it figured out soon….but here are some “test” pictures (click to enlarge)

18 thoughts on “A Few Updates

1. Laura Fisher says:

You made a great looking design from all those blocks-bravo to you. very impressive. And Teddy is divine-what kind of terrier? and such a relief from everyone’s cat photos, to which I am highly allergic. Yay for dogs( just keep him away from the quilt- they like to chew, I’ve had many munched antique hooked rugs in my time.

thanks Laura
      Teddy was a mystery dog for quite a while. he was rescued from a a shelter….he had to have all his hair shaved to get rid of all the matts and he looked very different…the vet said she thought he was a mixed bread….but was pretty sure he was some terrier…likely jack rusell …I didn’t think it mattered, but his hair grew back and he started to become very friendly and cute…..every time he was out for a walk someone would ask what kind of a dog he was and he would eat up the attention…..anyway I finally did a dna test so that I would have an answer and it turns out he is a miniature schnauzer , the color threw us all off, but it turns out there are some white ones, but the akc doesnt recognize white as an accepted color for the breed, the other thing is that the normally have their tails docked and ears cropped but he didnt so that give him a different look as well….fortunately he only chews his own toys!….he does like occasionally curl up on the quilt that I am working on…on the part that drapes on the floor off of the hoop.
      you are right about cats!….seems like quilters tend more to be cat people….not me!

2. Sue says:

You know I love your quilt….well you probably know I love Teddy too. He just makes me smile😊….if ever ya need a babysitter……😊🐾🐾

3. Sharon Eshlaman says:

Just beautiful! And Teddy is pretty wonderful too.

4. Trina Schellhammer says:

I’m a big Teddy fan, too!! Yay for other dog lovers. 🙂 I noticed in the one picture what I’m assuming is your quilting frame made from what looks like tree branches. Curious minds would love to know what it is that I’m seeing. 😉

the tree branches are willow branches….the tv that I watch while quilting is on a small table made of willow and that is what you see on the edge of the picture…I think….I cant find a picture where that can be seen

5. For color differences, check your white balance setting (if you’re using a DSLR). It makes a huge difference! And what a sweet looking Teddy!!!

The color here was influenced by the light…natural light is needed for true color…(when using a cheep camera like mine) but the lights in the house don’t do well with that at night…everything gets a yellow cast…Teddy included

6. Teddy is gorgeous – I love dogs and don’t like cats!! At the moment most of my quilt photos have to be taken with the lights on, and as you say, it gives them a yellow tinge – oh for some bright sunny weather!!

so true!….I fell like the sun never shines in the winter….and everything feel gloomy, there is a bit of sun today…but it is really cold! Teddy hates to go for a walk when it is so cold….his little feet get so cold

7. Lovely quilt & Teddy is adorable. We have a border terrier & a Patterdale terrier who often errrrrr help? With our sewing projects. Gotta love a little dog 😍

8. Tim,
    Love your quilts and I vote for hand quilting, too. My husband, a new quilter isn’t too sure about hand quilting just yet and may have the machine quilting bug.

Adore Teddy! And, I may have part of the mystery for you concerning his ancestry. Teddy is very much like our Watson who is a pedigree Miniature Schnauzer. He is dark charcoal, with docked tail and ears and has the infamous Schnauzer eyebrows and beard (we took Watson in when he was 11 months old). Teddy is amazingly like our Baby Girl who we rescued this past Sept. She is considered “salt and pepper” (light grey for a Schnauzer) and has the docked tail and longer ears (like Teddy) which are more in keeping with the European style for Schnauzers. Teddy and Baby Girl could be brother and sister. Like Teddy, I do believe there is a very similar breed mixed in her family tree. Does Teddy have incredibly long eyelashes? Is he crazy smart? Then BINGO my friend! You are the proud Poppa of a Schnauzer. We say our Watson is a little boy zipped up in a dog suit.

Congrats on all fronts!

Bev, a fellow quilter

hand quilting isn’t for everyone….and neither is machine quilting….but both can be beautiful!
      Teddy was a bit of a mystery for quite a while but Yes is is a schnauzer…..which was confirmed by the dna test about a year ago and with the right hair cut he looks like one now (some day I will have to post a picture of him pre schnauzer haircut…and when you say crazy smart you have him pegged! he can even tell time….as soon as the clock rings 5 he jumps up and asks for his dinner….and he knows when it is 10 pm…time for a treat. ( he gets a treat I get an insulin shot)

• Well, there you go! Love is grand when you quilt AND have a Schnauzer in your life.
        I agree about the hand/machine quilting. I so love the hand quilting, but as my arthritis advances may have to convert to machine. We shall see.
        Btw, you mentioned you had a new camera. I’m looking a cameras now. Do you have any recommendations?
        Thanks!

I got a FUJI finepix s4200. this replaces another fuji that is 6 years old and beginning to not work so well (there is a short in it that causes it to turn off all the time)…but I am not a camera person…I just wanted an easy one

Comments

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )