Cheddar Top Finished

I finished piecing the antique Cheddar blocks.  I had 40 blocks and I wanted to use every one of them.  After a lot of thought I decided to do them in a 6 x 6 layout and then use the extra 4 blocks in the border on the corners.  I wanted to make them into a full-sized quilt so the borders are big. That leaves me a lot of room for hand quilting and I think it will look great on a bed.  I had some reproduction fabric that blended well with the blocks so I didn’t have to buy anything new.

I hand pieced the blocks together because the blocks were all hand pieced and they were not all exactly the same size.  I find it easier to make them fit together by hand.  I did machine stitch the final border.  I need to give it a good pressing (I hate pressing!!) then it is ready to quilt.

Here are some pictures (click to enlarge)

21 thoughts on “Cheddar Top Finished

Looks great!

2. Kathleen Campbell says:

it is looking better and your quilting will be interesting!

3. Sue says:

Tim, it looks great. Love how you set the blocks. Hand piecing comes in handy in so many ways :)…as in not fighting with the sewing machine! haha

4. ginny says:

That came out wonderful!!!! And Ilike your “tree” background on this page !!!!

5. Beth says:

Hi Tim-Is the first border a tiny print or a solid color? Can we see a close up of the border?

6. I can’t believe you have hand-pieced all those blocks so quickly!

7. Kim says:

Beautiful Tim! I can’t wait to see how you quilt it.

8. audrey says:

I love the colors of this quilt. The cheddar absolutely glows against the purples, browns and cream. Wonderful top!

9. It looks fabulous, Tim! Can’t wait to see the hand quilting.

10. Faith Swanson says:

Very nice….love this block as well as the colors. The cheddar really pops.

11. antarabesque says:

It turned out fabulous! Such unique and lovely blocks.

Comments