Double Wedding Ring Pattern

I have had several people searching for information about the double wedding ring pattern recently.  I have several of them in my vintage quilt top collection.  I decided that some people might be up to the challenge of making one so I drafted a pattern using the vintage tops as a guideline.  Here is the pattern in a downloadable file. (note that this is standard piecing, not paper piecing)

double-weddingring-pattern

This pattern is, in my opinion, best made by hand piecing. I find that it is easier to be accurate that way

here are some of the vintage tops as an example of how the fabrics can be arranged (click to enlarge)

There were many patterns published for the double wedding ring over the years  and one of the main differences is the number of wedges in each arch.  I made my pattern fairly simple with only 6 wedges per arch, but you can see from the pictures that the number can vary depending on the pattern source.

I did not include any fabric requirements (how much to buy) because I think this is a good pattern to use up leftovers from other projects

Here are some pictures of a double wedding ring quilt that I hand quilted.  The 30’s top was purchased at a flea market and it was one of my first hand quilting projects. (click pictures to enlarge)

23 thoughts on “Double Wedding Ring Pattern

1. antarabesque says:

I’m still reluctant to tackle curves. However one of my nephews is getting married so now might be the time. These are beautiful. Thank you for offering your ‘fans’ a pattern.

2. Sue says:

Gosh, it’s one of my favorites. I made the double wedding ring quilt for my daughter when she got married nearly seven years ago. I enjoyed every minute of that one. I hand quilted it too, but my hand quilting takes longer than yours does 🙂

3. Hi! I’ve really enjoyed looking through your blog, so I’ve nominated you for a Liebster Award.

4. No double wedding ring for me. I am going to make a pumpkin seed scrappy quilt. The curves are paper pieced and then appliqued to the background, a bit more my speed. I think some DWRs were appliqued, not sure though.

the Ruby McKim pattern from the 20’s said that you could applique the mellons to a solid background….but I prefer the look of all pieced.

and I forgot to mention that for me applique is at least 10 times harder than piecing….just shows how each quilter is different, I would never be able to finish one all in applique

Isn’t that one rather Pickle Dish-y? What’s a Liebster?

6. Siobhan says:

I think Kristen is referring to the one with the Yellow background as pickledishy. DWR are really popular in the south. I still have a complete set of acrylic templates from 20 years ago! Lots of different methods to construct these…

ah… thanks (and sorry Kristen) I guess I that yellow one is different……I think of pickle dish as the one where is is triangles in the arches.
      have you used the templates? I have also seen some patterns that suggest papaepiecing the arches , and I have seen pre-printed sheets of fusible interfacing that have the DWR pattern printed …I guess Im a purist ….I think the easiest way to make one is to hand piece it

• Siobhan says:

Yes I used the templates a few years ago. They are great for rotary cutting. I want to make a crib size with small arches sometime…saw a couple at a local documentation day.

I have to do a crib size quilt some day…..so far I have only made big things….small might be fun….and different

7. Great to see your progress!! You keep us inspired!!
    Kerry

8. rutigt says:

Thank you so much for the pattern! This is one of my favorite block (the other one is Jacob´s Ladder).
    Gun, Sweden

9. […] qui rappellent de toute évidence le drapeau  étasunien. Quilt en possession de Tim Latimer. […]

10. Ann Kolpin says:

Hi Tim. I’ve been looking for a DWR pattern and so happy that you have one because I consider your work trustworthy. I’ve put the pattern in my iBooks for future printing. I am unfamiliar with terminology for making the DWR. When you say “6 wedges in the arch” that means the small colorful pieces that surrounds the slim football shape. I am very interested in making this. Yes I want to hand piece it. And I intend to mark my seam lines with pencil. I prefer accuracy and don’t want to just guess. Thank you for the pattern. Do you have any written instructions or suggested reading that might help me along the way. I already have some fabrics that will do well with this. My step daughter are doing a quilt shop road trip on Monday and I’ll keep my eye out for something to go along with what I have. Thank you so much for your inspiring quilts that you post on FB.

yes the wedges are the pieces that go around the football. I dont have any written instructions but I do plan to write up a set at some point……another project to add to the book I plan to write some day 🙂

Comments