Coffee Cup Quilt

When I am procrastinating it is usually by spending time on the computer.  Invariably that leads me to quilts…funny how that happens.  Today I was looking at the eBay listings and found a quilt that I could not pass up.  How can you go wrong when you combine quilting and coffee?

coffee-cups

The quilt is actually not quilted.  It has a backing and no batting, sometimes they call these “summer spreads”.  I plan to take off the backing, add batting, and hand quilt it.

I am always interested in the history of a pattern and I looked for some examples in the quilt index. I found one similar quilt

1B-3A-225-226-LouisianaLARegionalFolklife-a0a2c8-a_21104

The pattern is very much like one called “coffee cups” published by the Kansas City Star in 1935, and also in 1946 published as “cup and saucer”

coffee-cup

the difference being that the cup handle in the pattern is appliqued and the handles in this quilt are pieced

coffee-cups-2

I love the bright colors and variety of fabrics.  I get the feeling these are 50’s or 60’s fabrics.  I will have to wait for the delivery to look at it more closely.

coffee-cups-3

I really didn’t need another project!  But I couldn’t resist it…I guess procrastination can be expensive!

I will post more about this quilt when it arrives.

21 thoughts on “Coffee Cup Quilt

1. Siobhan says:

Great quilt top! So graphic…know you do wonderful things with it!

2. stjamespcdc says:

Being hyper-creative costs money. It can’t be helped I’m afraid.

3. I Always find procrastination expensive!! These tempting computers……

Excellent! My several years of lurking on the eBay quilt market, and I have never seen one of these! Oh, you must quilt the steam from the coffee, that’s just too good.

5. Pam Gardner says:

I am crazy about your coffee cups!

6. I have a similar pattern, but it’s totally applique. Love the quilt. I love to find “finds” like this 🙂

7. Queen Willow says:

would love to figure out how to make this block, would make great table runners

8. jildo says:

I have a smaller version of this — I was thinking of selling on eBay. Do you have any idea who made these?

It is not an uncommon pattern and has been published several times so I am sure that there are thousands out there all made by different individuals. most quilters never sign their work so most remain unknown.

9. lorieast says:

Quilts and coffee?? You KNOW I’m in on that one! Looks like you found a wonderful example too. I love it!

I will have to dig mine out…it’s not vintage but is still kind of cool, was given to me when I left the board of a guild I was in more years ago than I want to admit. Will try to get you a pic soon.

Comments

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )