Fun With Dick and Jane

Do you remember these books?

One of the many projects I want to get to soon is a quilt of the images from the books.   I have the fabric

Here is the flannel backing fabric.

2-8-13 008 2-8-13 007

and here are the blocks (click to enlarge)

I need to decide how to set them and get the right sashing fabric, (something bright) but it should be a simple quilt to finish.

We got some snow….not a huge storm, but enough to make it hard to drive.  But from inside looking out it looks pretty

2-8-13 005 2-8-13 001

the trees in the photo above are the same trees that inspired the Trees quilt. (minus the snow)

2011_0322male-call0015

2-8-13 001-1

Stay Warm!

33 thoughts on “Fun With Dick and Jane

1. Joana says:

I loved the Dick and Jane books! I can still remember the intense excitement and pride when I could read a story all by myself! Glad you are enjoying the snow from inside. 🙂

2. Carolyn Black says:

I really like the fact that you make the most ordinary day seem extraordinary.

3. I learned to read from these books. I even saw a set online a couple of years ago and now wish I’d purchased them. I have some of the fabric, too, and am still trying to decide what to make with it. Can’t wait to see what you do.

4. We may get more snow at the weekend – a good excuse to stay in and sew!!

5. Martyne Bailey says:

Dick and Jane readers, so very endearing. And such a long long time ago, early 1950’s for me. I love the idea of a quilt from that fabric. I look forward to see it finished by you Tim.

I learned to read from those books, but they were the first editions! I remember the red cover of one and I think each one was a different color. Go see Spot. Go Jane Go, Jump Spot Jump! I sure wish I still had those books! And then they let us take them home to read to our parents, that was thrilling! My mother had 6 kids , just think how many times she had to listen to those books!

7. Cathi says:

I do remember those books! What a wonderful quilt that’s going to be!

8. Pam Gardner says:

I learned to read with Dick and Jane…..fond memories

9. antarabesque says:

I, too, learned to read with Dick and Jane. The world at my finger tips was enthralling. When it dawned on my that people could communicate, tell stories, answer mysteries, share information through words, I was hooked. I made my mother read cereal boxes, soup cans, and milk cartons to me. It drove her crazy. At least, for the most part, the ingredients were easier to pronounce then. Looking forward to see what you do with the fabric.

10. LoriD says:

I learned to read with Dick & Jane. Love it!! Stay safe and warm!

How much fun is that?! Wow, I thought that I was the last to learn from Dick and Jane in 1969 — but you’re just a young stripling, they must have kept up the good work far longer. My husband remembers them very well, and that would have been ’59. This fabric — is it vintage or repro? I of course remember Spot, but not Puff. And I don’t remember Jane’s skirt being so scandalously short as in that one block. Well, it was the late ’60s.

The fabric is new…but out of print now…it is think from about 2 or 3 years ago, I saw it on eBay and had to have it…i dont know the whole story but I think the books go back to the 50’s….so when I learned to read in 1970-71 the books were pretty old already

• Kristen says:

Oh yes, the fabric was absolutely a must-have. I thought that the only reason we had those old books in my elementary school was because we were a poor district (true then and now), so they were on their last legs when you read them, as it were. But they are a great Baby Boomer bonding point (I think technically I’m the last year of the Boomer generation – or maybe it went to ’64).

same poor school situation…..Catholic School in a very non-affluent (poor) area…and very well used books!

12. ooglebloops says:

Love it and your trees quilt! Do you have a source for the Dick and Jane fabric?

13. Eileen Carman says:

Great site! Thanks for having it!

Comments

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )