Dick and Jane quilt started

I started work on the Dick and Jane quilt.  I decided to use the flannel backing fabric as the sashing as well.

2-8-13 007

the top finished at 36″ x 48″

dick and jane top 004

Since it is a small quilt (lets call it crib sized)  I was able to use up some scrap batting.  When I make a quilt I often have pieces of batting leftover and for this quilt I joined a few together to make a piece large enough.

They sell iron on tape that can be used to join batting pieces together but I can not imagine that it is easy to hand quilt through.  I sew the pieces together using an edge joining foot.

dick and jane quilting 008

the batting pieces are butted up against the metal blade in the center of the foot and a zig zag stitch joins the pieces without any overlap so there will not be any bumps.

dick and jane quilting 009

So now to layer the quilt.  I start by tacking the backing fabric to the floor (right side down)  you could use tap if you don’t want to mess up the floor.

dick and jane top 001

next I add the batting.  this is Warm and Natural batting and I think you can see where I joined 2 pieces together

dick and jane top 002

Next add the top and smooth it all out

dick and jane top 004

and next I pin it all together with safety pins.

dick and jane top 006

Ready to quilt.  I am hand quilting this in a hoop.  It is small so it wont take long.

dick and jane quilting 001

I am using a #11 John James Between needle ( not a gold, or a large eye, or a quilters, which are all different… a plain #11 between) and coats cotton quilting thread.

If I work on this regularly I should have it done in a few weeks.

But it is difficult to stick to one thing…so we will see how it goes.

Happy quilting

33 thoughts on “Dick and Jane quilt started

1. karen says:

Tim I have used the iron on tape and I hand quilt – your stitches might not be quite as consistent in size as you go through the area but if it is not a prize winning quilt that you are working on it works out just fine. Sometimes I sew scrap batting together with a zig zag stitch as well.

2. ginny says:

Love the Dick and Jane quilt !!! I’m glad you used the flannel for the sashing. Looks great!!!

3. Linda says:

Tim, I really enjoy reading your detailed descriptions of how you do things. I love that you share your opinions and preferences. Always an enjoyable and informative read 🙂
    Linda

4. Billy Hockman says:

Beautiful, Tim. Now I want to find that fabric!!

5. Trina Schellhammer says:

Another project, Tim?!! I love it how you have such a variety of things to work on. Make me feel a whole LOT more normal. 😉 I also piece my batting together at times, but typically hand sew it together with a whip stitch. Never even thought of sewing it on the machine. Guess most quilters are thrifty, like myself. Love to look at your projects. Thanks for posting pictures, and also for the explaination of how you baste your quilts. My least favorite part.

Thanks Trina…..normal is all a matter of perspective….so from my perspective we are very normal! if I only had one thing to work on that would seem abnormal! glad you liked to see the basting….that is the way it works best for me….but I dont imagine it would work well for anyone with back or knee issues because you need to spend a lot of time bent over on the floor

6. Mary Britton says:

I know what you mean when you say it is difficult to stick to one thing. I have to have two or three things going so when I hit a snag or get bored with one I can work on another for awhile, then I am ready to go back. Love your quilts, especially the vintage ones!

See Tim quilt. Go Tim Go. See Teddy watch. Good quilt, good!

8. Geri says:

I just recently found your blog and am totally hooked!! You are amazing — I hand piece and hand quilt and am not anywhere near as productive as you. And the quality is awsome!! I love your Dick and Jane quilt — very creative use of the fabric. I wanna do work like yours when I grow up 🙂

9. carla bynum says:

Hi!!! Love your Dick and Jane quilt!!! Your quilting is amazing!!!

10. Kathie Weatherford says:

Tim: Do you always pin baste your quilts you plan to hand quilt? I usually thread baste and am wondering how the pins work with hand quilting. Kathie

I always pin bast….I find it so much easier than thread basting..and for me it holds everything together better. I just take out the pins as I go….once I have an are in the hoop I take out all the pins…so I never have anything to catch the quilting thread on. every quilter is different, but pins work best for me

Love that first finished block! And I concur, the flannel print would seem to be too busy for the sashing, but its pattern recedes because of the larger scale of the blocks; it works well. Quilt, Tim, quilt!

and I just found a source on line for a few more sets of the blocks…so I think I will be making a few more…perhaps set differently…I think primary colors would be great

12. Salley says:

Glad Sally gets the central spot…as it should be.

13. Cathi says:

That is a fabulously cheerful, wonderful quilt. I love the dashing — it adds such a wonderful touch!
    Thanks for the idea on how to join pieces of batts – I’m going to make use of that for sure!

thanks Cathi
      I am enjoying this one…..it is so different to make a smaller quilt…..I must say I think I will make more smaller quilts because they are so much easier to handle when hand quilting. I hope the joining of batting works for you….it sure makes me feel better to use up those pieces

14. Cathi says:

That should be sashing — dratted auto-correct feature!

15. Tim,
    So cute! Love the details. And the Dick and Jane theme is priceless 🙂

16. Kate says:

Hello Tim! I love the simple quilting around Sally, so pretty. I used a zig-zag stitch to join pieces of the wool wadding you suggested I might try, and this worked great, I’ll keep all my left-over pieces of wadding from now on. Thanks for the tip. I’m going to start quilting this afternoon on a small top I made to try out the wool, with a very thin layer of cotton for the backing – I’m really excitied about maybe being able to quilt again, thanks for your help with this.
    Can I ask you how far apart you place the pins when you pin baste, and do you use any particular pins? I think this might be an alternative to tacking the layers that i could try also.
    Really enjoying following your blog!

Hi Kate
      I am so glad to hear the the zig-zag worked for you to join up those leftover pieces! as for the pins I use my hand as a guide, they should be about as close together as the width of my hand. That is about 4″ . I use standard safety pins, but there are special quilt basting pins that can be purchased which are curved to make them easier to pin in. they are more expensive so I have not used them.
      good luck with it!

Comments

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )