Old and New

Toady I have been working on quilting the big whole cloth quilt.  I am nearly 1/2 way done with the secondary quilting.  Here are some progress pictures …I hope you aren’t tired of looking at this quilt, but it has been my main focus lately.  I have not been keeping accurate track of hours spent on this, I am not sure I want to know, but my current best guess is about 720 hours  (click pictures to enlarge)

I am getting ready to add a hanging sleeve to the whole cloth tree quilt that I finished a few months ago.  Here are some more pictures of that. So you can get an idea of size I took thees pictures on top of the other quilt. (click to enlarge)

I decided to clean out some of the clothes in my closet that I don’t wear anymore.  They are either out of style or way to big (or both) but I think they are going to make a great quilt! (or 2)

whole cloth progress 002

More Ideas on how that will happen soon.

16 thoughts on “Old and New

1. The Frugal Quilter says:

Not tired of looking at the progression of this quilt at all!~ It is stunning!~ Keep up the great work. I imagine that you are getting excited about the finish in the near future. I hope you show these quilts…

2. Gerrie says:

Ooh, those shirts will make a great quilt! (Never tire of seeing progress on the whole cloth.)

3. Bertha Mallard says:

I could look at your quilts all day. I actually do spend a lot of time reading your blog posts from years ago. Your quilting is exquisite.

Thanks!..I sometimes think that I am boring people showing the same quilt over and over…but even I have a limit to the number of projects I can do at once….and I really want to finish this one!

4. Pam Gardner says:

the whole cloth quilting is beautiful but hard on the eyes? I can’t imagine how you could keep it clean either-how do you do it?

it can be hard on the eyes. I have to use an Ott light and I need to wear glasses to work on it. the pictures do make it look a lot cleaner than it is…I have been dragging it all over the floor for months now as I work on it so it will need a good washing when it is done. But I always was a quilt as soon as I finish the quilting

5. Donna K says:

Wow Tim. I never tire looking at your work. You aren’t boring me at all so keep on posting. I am starting to hand quilt a big one myself and if I am even half the quilter that you are I think I would be happy!

most important thing is to have fun doing it!!

• Donna K says:

Hi again Tim,
        I am starting to hand quilt a Dear Jane. I have five of the center blocks done, whew. I feel like a quilt wrangler, all the direction changes, all the seams. I’m using a floor hoop and I’m not a big person so it’s not exactly fun at this point but I will keep at it. Seeing your work is encouraging. I will wrestle or wrangle maybe two more blocks today.
        Wish I could see you quilting in person. I go back to your hand quilting video every once and awhile for encouragement, thanks.

Donna always have the most difficult time when working in the center of a quilt…as I work out to the edges it is so much easier! because there is less overhanging quilt in front of you….keep going!!

• Donna K says:

Oopsie, I forgot to ask. You say you wash your quilts after quilting them. Do you block them while damp? Or how do you let them dry? After washing, then you bind? Thx.

Donna. First I bind them. then I wash them….in the washing machine….then I dry them …in the dryer…I dont want to treat my quilts as anything delicate….they are to be used

6. Mary Britton says:

You quilt is just beautiful. I especially love the curved feathers in the border. I quilt with a hoop in my easy chair but even though floor is carpeted, I keep a sheet spread out for the quilt to rest on. I don’t wash my quilts when I finish, but I am hearing more and more people say they do.

I always wash when finished….there is marking to remove, and dirt from my hands, and the floor, and washing softens it up and gives it a much nicer hand….I want my quilts to be used and they need to be soft and inviting

Comments