Melon Patch Progress

I decided to take another break from hand quilting and make up a few more of the melon patch blocks with my old shirts. (click to enlarge)

If I copy a finished block and paste it together you can get an idea of what the quilt will look like. But it will have a lot more variety.

melon patch

I am thinking now that I will add a boarder made of some old pants since I have plenty of those that I also Have not worn in years.

28 thoughts on “Melon Patch Progress

Awesome! I hope polyester brown pants or turquioise jeans don’t show up though!

2. It’s going to be fantastic, Tim! Great way to recycle!!

3. audrey says:

Love it so far! Great colors in the pieced melons!

4. Laura Gottlieb says:

I just love the melon shape in almost any quilt…and they’re in a lot of different quilt blocks. Yours looks like fun.

5. Regan Martin says:

Oh, I’m just loving these, Tim. Especially the scappy piecing of it; the different angles are mesmerizing! And don’t you just love working with old shirts….so soft and cozy!

6. Sharon Eshlaman says:

Very cool. I swear you must never sleep to be able to get so much accompished. Nice job.

7. I love the way you draft your own blocks and just go for it. No wonder your quilts look so great! Can’t wait to see a pant border!

Thanks Carla
      I guess I just can’t make myself follow a set pattern…for me a big part of the fun is seeing how the idea translates….I am still thinking about how that border will be done….but I think I might keep the belt loops on the pants

8. Pam Gardner says:

I like it- a lot!!!!

9. Cosmos says:

I love it!

10. looks great! maybe a scrappy border (piano key style) of all the shirts your using in the blocks?
    love the colors
    kathie

11. njquilter24 says:

love the blocks, its going to be a fun memory quilt I am sure.
    how about a piano key border of the shirt fabrics, scrappy and use up all the leftover pieces?
    Kathie

12. Sujata Shah says:

This quilt is already stunning! I love the use of plaids and shirting in curves. It gives so much visual interest to the quilt. Looking forward to it’s progress.

thanks! I am having fun with the curves and combining the various fabrics, it is a nice change from the very detailed hand quilting I have been doing, and a chance work on sewing machine skills….I do so much by hand I almost forget how the machine works

Comments

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )