Mourning Needlework

Mourning Needlework has always fascinated me.  I have been looking at several images of old silk embroidery from the 1800’s and I am inspired to try a quilt in the style of these old artworks.  Some might find this a bit morbid but it is part of the history of needlework.

File:Needlework mourning picture by Sarah Hooker Leavitt.jpeg

I am not the only one who has found the topic interesting.  Teddy Pruett, certified AQS quilt appraiser and quilt artist,  made a fabulous Mourning Quilt.  See it here .

be sure to visit the gallery pages on her site to see some real quilt creativity.

I plan to do mine as a whole cloth quilt since that is my current obsession.

I have been looking at pictures of old cemeteries. I find them to be absolutely beautiful.

531772_399748986786439_1952026980_n 419365_296924663768964_211139363_n 384361_228497583945006_1689079730_n 69259_398754890219182_64913837_n 282930_260008690793895_548036767_n 66607_406229022805102_805679627_n

I am in the planning stage on this but I will post some pictures of what I come up with when I get going on it.  Even when I am busy with half a dozen quilts I am always thinking about the next one.

I have a busy week with floral design classes to teach and a Michigan Floral Association Convention this weekend so I wont have a lot of quilting time but I will still get a few stitches done (It is a necessity!)

13 thoughts on “Mourning Needlework

1. Jacqueline says:

The monuments are breath taking. What skill to produce. I am looking forward to seeing what you do quiltwise..

2. Awesome!!! You are a man after my own heart. I took pics of a monument in England several years ago. The one you show twice
    of the angel draped over the stone reminds me of it. I always wanted to
    do a quilt depicting that scene. Can’t wait to see what you do!!!!

3. pmblan@aol.com says:

I, too, love the mourning needlework; I’m sure that Piecework Magazine ran an article about that subject several years ago, which I have somewhere in my craft room. I also have a book about the history of hair work in America, which is very interesting too. The hair of loved ones, living and dead, was woven into jewelry, wall decor, and other types of keepsakes. Good luck with this venture and please post pictures. Patsie

I have seen a few hairwork pictures….very interesting…and intricate work….I would love to find some in an antique store…im always on the look out for the unusual

4. Donna K says:

Hi Tim

I can’t wait to see what you come up with.
    I don’t know about the ‘stone angels’ as I am a big fan of the new Dr Who. Stone angels are deadly and scary. Dr Who was the first thing I thought of when I viewed your pictures …. Be careful.

I saw that episode of Dr Who…..so when I make the quilt I think it will appeal to 2 audiences….graveyard fans and Dr Who fans…? it was kinda scary to see those angels being so nasty

5. gayleburton says:

The timing on your post is interesting because just a few days ago I shared something on my blog related to this. I’m a rug hooker as well as a quilter, and a friend hooked a mourning rug that she let me photograph. You should stop over and take a look at it!

6. Jeanette says:

I love genealogy, hence love cemeteries. The most beautiful statues I have seen are at Mt. Eliot cemetery in downtown Detroit. I paid homage to the loss of my son by putting the year on a quilt he would have loved

Comments

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )