More Treasures from the Quilt Closet

I have been working away at some of the projects that I have already started and posted about several times already so I decided that I would take a few things out of the quilt closet to show.

This  first quilt top is full of little surprises.  Signatures and interesting blocks and fabrics.

3-5-13 001

At some point in its history someone decided that it needed to be “fixed”  yikes!  They sewed on a few patches very poorly

3-5-13 004 3-5-13 005

and added a binding…which  stretched it all out of shape as they machine sewed it on pulling as they went

3-5-13 017

It will take some work to get it in shape to quilt, but I still like it.  I am always drawn to blocks that have names on them….here are the signed blocks  (click to enlarge)

I also took out a pile of fan blocks

3-5-13 025

I have 40 of these, and I really think they will be a great quilt one day

Teddy likes to help me decide what to do…

3-5-13 028

we think that we will lay them out like this

3-5-13 032

and make some pieced sashing to go between.  The overall look would be something like this picture that I pieced together

fan-layout

It won’t be exactly like this but that is the basic idea.  This is a some day in the future plan….but it is always fun to think ahead.

17 thoughts on “More Treasures from the Quilt Closet

1. Carlyn says:

Just want to wish you happy quilting on your “signature”quilt. What an extraordinary piece of art.

2. Kathleen Campbell says:

I just loved looking at all of those old fabrics.

3. Laura Gottlieb says:

OOOOOooooo….LOVE the fans. If you get tired of them (ha!), let me know! 🙂

4. Sharon Eshlaman says:

I also love the fan blocks and the way you may lay them out. It will be a beautiful quilt. Of course, I love Teddy also.

5. Gerrie says:

Looks like future fun. Any idea of the age of the fabrics in the signature quilt, specifically the one signed by Jessie Thomas? Love your posts!

on that block I would say about 1900-1910…some of the block have fabrics that seem more like the 20’s, could be that they had just collected scraps of fabrics for a number of years so it is hard to say for sure when it was made

• Gerrie says:

Thanks for the date clue. I have a nearly full quilt top with some of those fabrics. I didn’t think they were as new as the ’30s, but I am not experienced at dating fabric. The 1900-1910 time frame makes sense to me. Thanks!

6. audrey says:

The signature blocks quilt is made in lovely colors–very warm and rich. Good luck in fixing it. I’ve seen what you can do so I’m sure it will end up better than ever! The fan blocks are great too. More play time with those.:)

7. What fun you’ll have with those! Love the fan quilt idea.

8. Carla says:

Like what you are doing with the fan blocks!

Comments