Big Stitch Circles

castoffs 002

I told myself I wouldn’t do this until I finished another quilt first, but its so small….it wont take long….I can do it quickly….its a good way to use up scraps….I didn’t have to buy anything new….I have a piece of wool batting that is big enough.  OK enough justification, I just wanted to do it.

This little piece (20″ square) was made with leftovers

Fans-wheels 020

from this quilt top

Fans-wheels 018

and I guess I can look at this little quilt as a warm up for quilting the big one.

I made a sandwich with muslin backing and wool batting and I put in a few pins and then sewed the layers together and took out the pins.  I was going to mark the top before I started quilting but then I decided to just go for it and be more free form.  I am using #8 perle cotton thread and a big #5 embroidery needle and making big stitches.  I am making spiraling circles and so far I think I like it.

big stitch circles 001big stitch circles 003 big stitch circles 004 big stitch circles 005

Teddy doesn’t seem to be very interested in this one.  He was taking a nap (he excels at nap time) and the camera woke him up

big stitch circles 007

he always gets “bed face”

48 thoughts on “Big Stitch Circles

1. Kitty Hettinger, Holt, MI says:

I love this! I can’t wait to see it finished.

2. Tica says:

Love the spirals- great idea.

3. heidi says:

i absolutely love what this does to the quilt, pure genius but i am curious about your plaid orange peel?

4. Sharon Eshlaman says:

Love the circles! Wished I lived closer to you as I’d babysit Teddy when you went out of town. He’s so sweet.

that would be great!…he get to go to the vet Thursday (they do dog boarding) because Im going to PA to the AQS show….I am sure he would rather stay with you

5. Kathleen Campbell says:

This is SWEET STITCHING! I love it. Would not have thought of the spiral stitching my self.

6. Susie says:

I love the contrast of the circles on the rectangles and bars. Gives a lot of movement and texture!

7. Susie says:

I’m going to Lancaster on Friday! I can’t wait to see your quilt there and maybe I will see you!

thanks!…I plan to be there Friday And Saturday…..just not sure exact times….it will depend on how it goes….but I might be found near one of my quilts, I hope to see you there

8. audrey says:

Those circles look very fun! Great contrast.

9. The Frugal Quilter says:

LOVE!~ I am going to have to buy some perle cotton thread. I don’t have any… I really enjoy seeing how you quilt things because I love to hand quilt, but don’t have the imagination for what to do, pattern wise.
    20″… that would make a NEAT, big pillow front!~

Love it! Wow that is something. You can absolutely turn anything into wonderful stuff! And Teddy has great bed face expressions!

11. Martyne says:

Love it, and the look Teddy has on his face!
    Martyne

12. Very inspiring…as usual!!

13. Cathi says:

I love the effect the circular quilting is adding, makes me think of ripples on a pond. Fabulous!

14. Carolyn Black says:

Oooh! The circles make it so very intersting! Most unexpected!

15. Love it, Tim. It’s so textural, I just want to reach out and touch it!

16. Pam Gardner says:

love it-you are fast, even if it is small

17. Kim says:

Tim those spirals are just a bit fabulous 🙂 love them. You have such an eye for design, I really enjoy seeing what you will come up next.

18. Jeanette says:

When I got to the bottom of the post, I had to laugh. You are the White Tornado of quilting !!! That little piece you have left is just right for a blankie for Teddie. Every good dog should have his own quilt !

The circles are very cool, Tim — a counterintuitive and/but very prime choice.

it is counter intuitive…I almost always make the quilting follow the piecing, but that just didn’t seem right for this…and it is fun to try something different, I think I can get stuck into being too traditional sometimes

20. ginaquilts says:

Love the big stitch circles! I’ve been sitting on the fence as to whether or not to big stitch a log cabin quilt. Your post just made my decision for me! I’m going to try to big stitch hand quilt it. My first hand quilting larger than a wall hanging. You are an inspiration! Keep up the great posts!

21. Louise says:

I really love the big stitch circles!! Look forward to seeing it finished!

22. Kathleen says:

Love your work. Love the big stitch quilting. Hope you have more big stitch projects in the future.

23. Lorij says:

I like this. I like circles or ovals on squares or blocks. Teddy is so cute and bright eyed.

24. Lorij says:

And big thread and big stitch are my favorites.

Comments