Lancaster Loot

I didn’t get a lot of shopping done at AQS in Lancaster.  Frankly I am not the best in such huge crowds!  Some of the booths I didn’t even get near because there were so many people.  Here is what I managed to buy

lancaster 2013 purchases 001

lancaster 2013 purchases 005

I can always use more 30 reproductions and the solids go well with them

lancaster 2013 purchases 004

Good supply of hand quilting thread which I seem to always be running out of

lancaster 2013 purchases 003

Sometimes I have a few marks that don’t come out ….so I thought I would give this a try

lancaster 2013 purchases 002

I never seem to be able to keep the scissors next to the sewing machine so I thought I would try …..should be good for thread clipping

I also bought a few yards of a solid gray fabric for another project that I will post about soon, and 2 packages of Hobbs Tuscany Wool batting.

I finished getting the binding on my little scrap project with the big stitches and circle pattern and got it washed….I can’t get a good picture….it is dark and gray outside today and natural light is the best to show quilting and the texture….but here are a bunch of pictures

29 thoughts on “Lancaster Loot

1. Eileen Mele says:

Do you know how lucky you are to be able to quilt?! My hands are not able to do quilting anymore. I want to finish my projects, but it’s not to be. Appreciate every wonderful stitch you take.

Great buys! But you can do better than just a few things!

I just couldn’t deal with the people….I can’t be pushy and get people to move out of the way so I can get near the merchandise …..quilters are all very lovely people but not when shopping….maybe it is because I am a man and they dont think I belong but they look at me like I am an intruder and horribly rude for being in the way….I leave the floor very depressed

• Gretchen McClain says:

I’ve attended the show for several years and I have to say this year was the worse I have ever seen for rudeness. It makes us all look bad I’m afraid. I witnessed too much of it in quilt shops as well. It’s much more fun to shop in the Lancaster area when there is no show going on. Hopefully things come back the other way. I might just wait until they do, unless I get the guts to enter a quilt. 🙂

you should enter one!…it is not hard to fill out the entry papers…and win or not it is great to see your quilt hanging in a big show!

3. Sharon Eshlaman says:

First of all, the quilt is simply beautiful. Of course, one would expect nothing less from you. Secondly, my husband would like it if I shop with you. You don’t buy as much as I do. However, I don’t shop on ebay like you so I guess it’s a wash. Please give the Inspector a hug for me.

4. Ok I’m drooling over all that YLI hand quilting thread. I love the circles on your little left over quilt. I think I may do that on my woven quilt. I has that same all over effect that babtist fans give which what I am looking for, but look like they may be a whole lot of fun to stitch.

that thread is the best! The sales man gave me a card….I think I will be ordering it on line from now on

the little quilt was a good practice piece…I think I will do that design on the full sizes one

5. karen says:

whenever I go to the shows I always find the thread too – I have the marking pencil remover and it does work – I have not had to use it often though and I still have a bottle that looks full. Looks like you still came home with some good stuff even if you did not get a lot – those booths are always so crowded that it is hard to get in some of them – I too pass some by because they are too crowded.

Glad to hear that the remover works! thanks
      I have a few marks from blue pencil that are stubborn….hope this takes care of it.
      I think I am not pushy enough to shop at a show…..I will stick to on line

6. Siobhan says:

Show shopping is not for the feint of heart! I ususally get too confused and battered to do much actual shopping though there are some items (like thimbles or hand quilting needles) that I can’t find locally. Last show it was woolens….

I wanted to look for a thimble but could not find a single one! I imagine at least one vender had them but I couldn’t find any….I also want a quality wooded hoop 18″….just a plain hoop…..not plastic, real wood…..couldn’t fin any …..If I wanted any machine quilting stuff I could have found a dozen different options….they just dont cater to hand quilters

• Siobhan says:

School House Quilters vends at a lot of the mid-size shows and carries lots of handquilting supplies. I bought two thumb thimbles from them last month and they always carry the Jeanna Kimble Foxglove Cottage needles that I like to use. None of the local quilting shops around me carry anything for hand quilting…very frustrating

I will have to look for them ….Sounds like a good company

• karen says:

too true – last quilt show I went to I was very disappointed – everything was aimed at machine quilting and there was very little for hand quilters 😦

we should start a show for hand quilters only!

7. Regan Martin says:

Sorry I missed you at the show, Tim. I kept looking for you, but no luck! I really wanted a pic of you in front of your fantastic Tree quilt (both of them!) Bummer! And yeah, it was crazy busy in the booths…..we did most of our shopping out in town at the quilt shops (lots of good deals out there!…none at the show, unless you were buying a machine!) So glad to have seen your beautiful quilts up close……they were both lovely!

Thanks! and sorry I missed you!…with all those people in such a small space I guess it is pretty unlikely to be able to find someone, but glad that you made it. I think shopping in town sounds like a great idea!!

8. mehitabel says:

I too went to a quilt show over the weekend, in Glendale (Calif) to be exact. Came home with a bunch of fat quarters in 30’s prints and a couple of “sets” of fat 1/4s, one in deep dark chocolate browns and the other in deep rick reds. Now to see what I’ll make out of them! Luckily for me, the show was not super-crowded so I could see the quilts and visit the vendors I found the most interesting.

sounds like a good show!!….being able to shop and see the quilts makes for a much better show!….I know you will make something great with you purchases

9. Sue says:

Some really great goodies there, Tim! I so wanted to make it down to that show, but injury to my stitching hand prevented me from going anywhere 😦

I love your scrap quilt you are showing. How did your quilt do at Lancaster?

sorry to hear about your hand, hope that you recover quickly!
      My quilts didn’t win any ribbons….but I will continue to enter

• Sue says:

Thanks, Tim! The hand is healing up.

I’m sorry your quilts didn’t win any ribbons, but they win ribbons here on your blog 😀 Are you going to be showing them at Paducah? I definitely would continue to show them, so that is good to hear.

wont do paducah this year…I think the deadline to enter is past, I will do Grand Rapids, and I think the one in Oct is in Iowa

10. Donna K says:

Hi Tim

On your scrap quilt with the larger thread, how did you start and stop? A knot?
    On shows, there is also one in September in Madison, Wi, called Quilt Expo.

Comments

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )