Pansy Applique Quilt Top

I am so anxious for spring that I took out one of my favorite Spring Like quilt tops today…just to look at it and get inspired to think spring.

pansy quilt top 001

It is applique and embroidery done with perle cotton thread.  You can see that the center design is not in the center…there is an additional design at the top, which is where the pillow would be.  I don’t see any marking lines on the pieces to indicate that it was a kit, but It seems likely that it is.  At some point in it’s history it was washed and that might have removed the marks. It is a big top, about 80″ x 100″.  Here are a bunch of pictures. It needs pressing but it looks like spring to me!

I love all the room for hand quilting on this!….some day it will be a great quilt.

Happy Quilting and Think Spring!

26 thoughts on “Pansy Applique Quilt Top

You really need to put that in the front of the line! And Teddy is even sitting there voting for it!

2. Colleen says:

Beautiful!! I have a soft spot for embroidery projects. The quilting on it will make it all pop. Keep us posted on this beauty! Go Spring!!

3. Ann Hancock says:

Pansies…one of my favorite flowers! Yes please, move this one up the queue, can’t wait to see it quilted!

I so look forward to the pansies blooming….I only have a few this year….but it will be great to see them poke their little happy faces through the snow….I will need to do a lot of marking an planning for the quilting on this one because there is so much open space…and marking is my least favorite thing to do….I think that has been the thing holding me back from starting this one

4. Bertha Mallard says:

I can’t wait to see you work your quilting magic on this top. A masterpiece waiting to develop.

5. LOVE this! I have one eerily similar to this that my mom had made many, many years ago. Never thought of quilting it. Hers was all embroidery and loaded with pansies! Even had the stitching at the top for the pillows. What type of batting/backing are you planning on using? I wonder how it would hold up to a lot of quilting (by hand, of course!). Sure would make an awesome keepsake for my family. 🙂

I think I will use a solid muslin backing…unbleached ( I have some on had already so that is good) for the backing, I think a cotton batting would be appropriate to the age of the top so I will probably do that, but I might end up with wool because I do think I want to do some rather fancy quilting and wool is so much easier.
      The edges of this are not finished …so I dont think it was ever really used on a bed, but it could have been intended to be used as a spread rather than a quilt…the background fabric is heavier than normal muslin….but I still think it calls out for quilting. Is the one your mom made from a kit? I think this one was but I don’t know

6. Jeanette says:

You can do wonders with this one. Better get some others done first so you can enjoy the ride….

7. Sharon Eshlaman says:

I can’t wait to see what you do with this one. It sure has alot of possibilities and I know you’re the person who can handle it. And thanks for including Teddy in all your pictures as he makes my day.

8. That’s going to be a stunning quilt once you’ve quilted it. I can’t wait to see what you’re going to do with it.

9. Cathi says:

Those kit quilts, if that is indeed what this end is, have always drwn me to them. I can just imagine how beautiful this will be once you work your quilting magic on it.

Me too….This one came to me in a large box of quilting pieces and parts from an auction……mostly fabric scraps and some quilt blocks and this treasure at the bottom of the box….but it does seem like a kit or at least an iron on pattern

10. Jay in Nebraska says:

I have a tablecloth that is identical to this, that my grandmother made. Makes me think I ought to remove the crochet lace and quilt it.

11. The Frugal Quilter says:

They probably just used it as a Spring/Summer coverlet. Down here, we are not in need of quilts any longer… I have had a/c running. I have a couple similiar and they are coverlets. Very pretty

the edges are not hemmed, and the tails of the embroidery thread are very long on the back and need trimming….so I don’t think that it was ever used….I can’t imagine putting in all that work on the applique and embroidery and not turning under the raw edges ….but it might well have been intended to be used as a coverlet

• The Frugal Quilter says:

Yes, sounds like it was definitely not finished. However, the ones I have are not lined to cover the stitches. I think they took them on and off. They were just for “show” during the day. But, who knows.. lol
        That’s half the fun~ wondering about it all.

I do like wondering about how they were used, and or why they were not finished…but I would like to know the history of the pattern for this one…

12. Mary Britton says:

Tim, That is a beautiful quilt top. I agree it looks like the kits from the 20s or 30s. I, too, am anxious to see what you come up with for quilt designs. What a special heirloom it will be.

Comments