Easter Colors

Easter is quickly approaching, and they tell me that spring has started but you would never know it to look outside today!

For the past several days I have been having a really hard time hand quilting.  I have a case of vertigo (went to the doctor and its an inner ear thing and I got a prescription so hopefully it will be short-lived) which causes me to get so dizzy when I try to focus on the stitches that I just can’t get any even stitches and I can only work for short periods of time..a big change for the normal several hours at a go.

Since I haven’t been quilting as much I have been thinking a lot about quilts…..and today I was thinking about the colors of the fabrics we choose, and how those choices make the viewer of the quit think of a specific season of the year or holiday.  Like it or not (and it doesn’t matter what pattern we use) a red and green quilt is going to make people think of Christmas.

I do not believe that the maker of this quilt top from the 1800’s ever intended for it to be a Christmas quilt  ( I hand quilted the top 2 seasons ago) .  I think it was intended to be just a quilt made with red and green fabric.

Christmas Quilt Finished 2011_0112christmas-quilt-done0037

But I have been calling it a Christmas Quilt since I started working on it.

Yellow and orange and brown together will make people think fall right away…as in this unfinished top

2010_1108Autumn-20110001

Or this quilt that I finished about 6 years ago

2010_1106quiltsrmqm0002

I think this quilt that I made with vintage blocks has Spring like colors

2012_03025-25-12-fans0040

So what colors say Easter?  I turned to Google for an opinion….a Google image search for “Easter colors” gave me this

I have a quilt in those colors.  this is one that I made with a vintage (50’s) quilt top

tumbling-blocks-fulltumbling-blocks-detail

Be sure to check out this post from the Quilters Newsletter blog   which is about hand quilting!!

Whatever colors you make your quilts enjoy the process of making them!!

16 thoughts on “Easter Colors

Get well fast, you have too many quilts waiting in the bins!

2. Sue says:

Gosh, Tim. You are so right about the colors of the quilt and those colors being associated with seasons or holidays.
    That red/green quilt is quite stunning. I really love that one!

Sure hope your vertigo goes away. Hopefully the meds will help clear things up for you.

Take care,
    Sue

3. antarabesque says:

Praying you are feeling better soon. I enjoyed your colour exploration today. For me, it is yellow and blue that remind me of Easter. I am unsure why that is, maybe it is my Ukrainian background.

yellow and purple does it to me too….I do think there are cultural connections to color as well…..Im not Ukrainian but those sure are colors I see a lot for Easter!…..and they are complimentary colors….colors directly across from one another on the color wheel (just like red and green)

4. Louise says:

You are right about the colors. Red and green will always be a Christmas quilt. I wanted to thank you for inspiring me to finish my grandmothers quilt squares she cut out 30 years ago. I posted the finished quilt on my blog. Check it out and see what you think!
    Hope you get better soon and back to quilting.
    Louise

5. Carla says:

Hope your vertigo clears up quickly! I agree that colors can be tied to seasons. They can also give a warm or cool feeling!

6. audrey says:

Your vintage 50’s quilt top is fabulous! I don’t think I’ve ever wanted to make that pattern until I saw your quilt made with those particular fabrics! And I’ve always thought that any quilt that evokes emotion in person is a great quilt.:)

7. Love your commentary! Hope you’re feeling better very soon.

Comments

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )