Teddy gets a Makeover

Teddy has had a long journey to his current stylish self.  Teddy was rescued from the humane society in the Detroit area.  I saw his picture on-line at the Happy Homes Rescue and brought him home on 8/22/09.  The Vet said he was about a year and 1/2 old ….so he is about 5 now.  He was thin and shy but just as adorable as can be.

teddy day one

They had given him a very short haircut at the shelter to remove all the matting and it was difficult to know how his hair should be cut.  Once it grew out he  got a haircut at Petsmart.

2009_1026teddy-oct-20090005

It made him look like a poodle.  People always asked what kind of dog is he?  The vet said he seemed like a terrier mix.  He  was a very cute little guy and a few different groomers had a go at it.

2009_1201teddy-dec-090002

But people kept asking what kind of dog he was….so a DNA test was done and it turns out he is a miniature schnauzer.  He didn’t have his tail cropped when he was a puppy like they usually do with that breed, and his color is not unheard of but not the typical color you think of with a schnauzer so we were all fooled into thinking he was a terrier mix.

After The breed was Identified it became a matter of finding a groomer who could actually do a decent schnauzer cut.

2010_103110-31-10-teddy0006

After a few misses a great groomer was found!….and Teddy loved her…he looked forward to going to visit Michelle ….sadly Michelle had to give up grooming because of family needs and it was time to find someone else who would do a good job.

Not an easy task!  I would not recommend petsmart or petco….they were reallllly bad.  He had an appointment today with a new groomer.  You gotta love the name  “The Elegant Pooch”.   Julie did a great job!  he’s got some problem areas that will need to grow out yet from the previous disaster cuts…his eyebrows should be longer but the last groomer cut a huge chunk out of one of them ….but he looks like he should now.

Remember the picture of Teddy the other day in front of the pansy applique quilt?

pansy quilt top 016

He was looking pretty scruffy….here is is today

Teddy with pansy quit 001 Teddy with pansy quit 002 Teddy with pansy quit 003

Happy to be looking sharp for his fans.

48 thoughts on “Teddy gets a Makeover

1. Betty says:

Awwww, He is quite the looker there. Thank you for rescuing him.

2. Carla says:

Teddy is just so adorable! Max was rescued also. His first owner didn’t have time for him and loved him enough to give him up to someone who had a yard and time. We will be forever grateful to his first owner who wanted the best for him. Sounds like Teddy got very lucky too!

He’s a charmer! Stay away from Petsmart and Petco is right! My sister had two small dogs who were cut on their backs and ears! The groomer said they wouldn’t sit still!

Yikes…..The dogs look so happy there in the tv ads….but they dont know what they are doing….a good groomer clams a dog down and they will sit still

Those eyes! Those ears! That backstory! So very sweet, everyone is so happy you rescued him, that you could see the inner star quilt inspector personality within. Very nice story, thanks.

5. Awww…he sure looks like a Schnauzer now! I had a grey Schnauzer years ago – they are such good companions. Glad you found Teddy a new groomer – amazing what a good haircut will do for you!

6. Ann says:

Oh yes. Teddy is much more himself.

7. helen says:

Teddy is adorable – with any haircut! 🙂

8. gardnerpam6 says:

he’s a cutie-haircut or not!

9. Laura Gottlieb says:

What a distinguished looking gentleman Teddy looks! How lucky he is to have such a caring owner!

10. gardnerpam6 says:

the other day I tried to ask you where you recommend looking for quilting materials/supplies on-line. Sadly there is only JF nearby which I am not crazy about.

11. A real beauty. (Teddy of course!) , and also the top behind him.

12. Ann Hancock says:

A good groomer is worth her/his weight in gold! She did a great job on him. I didn’t realize he was a rescue…what a nice story. Rescues rock! Ours is asleep on the couch cuddling with “Dad”… under a quilt of course!

I didn’t realize how hard it is to find a good groomer!….and in retrospect I should have asked you where you get yours done. Glad to hear that they are under a quilt!

13. He’s a beauty. He looks like he’s full of personality.

14. Sue says:

Well he looks as handsome as can be. He’s a very lovely dog. It’s nice to know just exactly what breed he is too.
    I have had a few terrible groomers with our dogs over the years and it is so nice when you get someone who knows what they’re doing and can give the dog a cut that is fitting.

15. eeyoreyikes says:

He appears to display humor and dignity,a winning match.

16. Sharon Eshlaman says:

What a difference a haircut can do when you know the breed. He’s a cutie no matter how his hair looks. You can tell he has great personality. Nice you both found each other. I just love that dog and look forward to seeing him in your pictures. I have a Lhasa Apso. Small dogs are great to cuddle with. Enjoy.

Teddy has a good friend named Toby who is a Lhasa Apso….he is a great dog! Toby is even a therapy dog and visits children in the hospital….he is so patient and gentle….

17. Martyne says:

So very handsome Mr. Teddy! Rescued pups are the best and they rescue us as well.

18. mamaraby says:

Oh, we had a Miniature Schnauzer when I was a kid also named Teddy. *sigh* When it came time to get a dog for the husband and kids we ended up with a Golden. I wanted a Schnauzer just like my Teddy.

Your Teddy is a very handsome fellow and I agree, a good groomer is tough to find!

what a coincidence …two schnauzers named Teddy…..a good name I think!….If I had a larger yard I would have likely gotten a larger dog like a golden…..but He has a big personality

19. Bobbie Davis says:

Oh my, who had more fun, you or Teddy?!!!

20. STEPHANIE says:

That was good to look at!
    Now a schnauzer question – What were they originally bred for? This is often a clue to dogs’ “personalities”.
    My two King Charles Cavaliers explore the world by smell (their spaniel heritage) but love nothing more than snuggling up on the sofa (the breed was originally developed to be a “comfort dogs”).
    I wonder what schnauzers were intended for? (Apart from being quilt inspectors)

They were originally bred to be medium-sized farm dogs in Germany, equally suited to ratting, herding, and guarding property and children….Teddy is very protective of his property and keeps an eye outside all the time to secure the yard. As time passed, farmers bred down the Standard Schnauzer into a smaller, more compact size perfect for ratting around the house and barn…which explains the reason that Teddy like to kill his toys….he loves those plush animals and as soon as he gets a new one he bites it on the neck and shakes it back and forth like killing a rat.

21. STEPHANIE says:

Thank you for that info Tim. It’s fascinating how they vary. Give mine a cuddly toy and they use it as a pillow!

wow that is a big difference….Teddy likes to cuddle people…but toys are to attack….and then guard! no one is allowed to get near them, and he has to hide them

22. Carlyn says:

Teddy is a cutie for sure and thanks for sharing and rescuing him. I have 2 rescue dogs, both black miniature schnauzers, a 3 year old and a 10 month old who is mixed with poodle and is adorable. Teddy seems to be very personable…

23. Valerie says:

i first thought Teddy was a wire-fox terrrier, but with the new grooming, I can see the schnauzer. Yes they are fierce with their plushies! And I always say my dogs rescued me! Love your quilting!

that was what the vet thought as well…..she said he was a mixed breed but had a lot of wire-fox terrier and Jack Russel terrier…. anyway you are right the dog rescues the person!

Comments