Why Trapunto?….because more is more

I was thinking that it would not be long before I finished the whole cloth quilt.  whole cloth quilting progress 003

But I decided that after the quilting is finished I will add trapunto.  I really want those feathers to stand out and that is the way to do it.  I did a post last winter about corded quilting or boutis, with some step by step photos…(read that here).

I have lots of quilting to go before I finish and am ready to go for all the stuffing work but I couldn’t wait to try it on a small section.

The trapunto is done from the back of the quilt with a big needle and yarn.

whole cloth trapunto 002

It is difficult for a picture to show the difference in the stuffed ares and the non stuffed areas…

here is the one petal stuffed

whole cloth trapunto 001

it is the second one below the heart.

here is 3 done

whole cloth trapunto 003 whole cloth trapunto 004

here they are circled

whole cloth trapunto 005

It is a bit time-consuming but I figure that I have already put so much time into this that I really want it to be special.

I also started doing some quilting on the scary tie-dye top.  I know I said I would wait but I couldn’t  😦

I am using 12 weight Aurifil cotton thread and an embroidery needle for big-stitch quilting and a grayish backing fabric…here are some pictures of how that is going.

12 thoughts on “Why Trapunto?….because more is more

1. eeyoreyikes says:

while these are all very beautiful, I can’t help but wonder about my favorite, the plaid orange peel, I miss him ?

still sitting on the sewing table waiting for me to be inspired to work on it some more…..it will happen but I have to be in the right mood or it will feel like work

2. cmosey says:

Oh wow, GREAT PLAN, Tim! I really need to try trapunto.

3. Carla says:

A lot of work, yes, but it does really make a difference. If only I could get half as much done as you do!

Great trapunto, it will make it even more wonderful!

5. 40Fat-Qu says:

I’m glad you’re back at the hand quilting! Your trupunto is gorgeous and you’re so right. You’ve already put a million hours into the quilt, whats a few extra hours to get it ‘just right’!

6. Sue Matlock says:

Of course you are doing trapunto. It turns your wonderful quilt into a masterpiece. My thought process is always the same too, I’ve got this much invested, what’s a few more hours? It is stunning, I look forward to watching the process.

Thanks Sue!….good to know that I am not the only one who thinks that way!!….I got a bit more done on it today….I will post some updates in the next few days

Comments