Trapunto Update

I made some progress on adding trapunto to the whole cloth quilt.   It has been suggested that I make a short video of the process, and I will do that in the next few days.  Teddy is not very good at holding the camera still

044

But he is good at supervising.

Here is how much I have done

trapunto-progress 012

One side of this border…from the heart at the bottom right and moving to the curve at the left side.

It is hard to see on the back because of the pattern on the fabric

trapunto-progress 006

I am anxious to see how it will look in the center …these really should be more defined once they are stuffed

trapunto-progress 004

I took a lot of pictures…here are a few (click to enlarge)

12 thoughts on “Trapunto Update

1. Claudette Booker says:

Can’t wait to see the video! I’ve always wanted to do this, but am usually in too much of a hurry to get the quilt done and move on to the next one. Did a small amount on a small wallhanging. Not sure I did it “right”, but it worked for me.

2. Mary Britton says:

Oh Tim, that is so beautiful. I am so glad you share your pictures. Where did you get the whole cloth top? I just joined your blog a few weeks ago so missed the beginning of it. Is it an antique? Last year the International Quilt Study Center in Lincoln, NE had an exhibit of
    French white work quilts. They were so beautiful also. Most had the trapunto work. My two daughters live in Lincoln so I get to go see most of their exhibits when I am visiting. Happy quilting to you as you finish this wonderful work of art!

Hi Mary
      I have always wanted to get to see the study center in Lincoln!…lucky you!!
      The top of this quilt is vintage…not sure how old, but it was partially marked for quilting by someone years ago….I added more to it because I liked the design but wanted it to be more detailed…In the future I would not do a top for whole cloth with a seam down the center because it really shows, but that is how it was when I got it….the seller said that it came from an Amish farm…

3. Linda Perry says:

I also saw the Marsaille quilts in Lincoln and they are unbelievable. I started a whole cloth but non white wall hanging and got half way done and put it aside but you have inspired me to get it out and at least work on the trapunto for a bit each day.

4. Regan Martin says:

The trapunto is stunning! I can’t wait to see your video!

5. Cathi says:

The trapunto is really making the feathers stand out. That is going to be a stunning quilt when you’re finished with it. I can’t wait to see the video.

6. Janet says:

The trapunto takes the quilt to a whole new level of stunning and is so worthy of the extra work. I hope when you get the video done that more people will give it a go and keep it alive before it becomes a dying art.

Comments