I think dogs can see color

I have heard it said many times that dogs do not see color.  I think they can….at least I think Teddy can!  He really likes the tie dye quilt I have been working on and he wanted to be sure to get his picture taken with it today. As soon as I had it out of the hoop he ran right to the wall where I hang them for pictures. ( maybe he just likes to have his picture taken)

tiedye quilt progress 017

I am about 1/3 done with the quilting on it.  It is not easy to see how it really looks in the pictures but here are a few pictures that will give you an idea.

18 thoughts on “I think dogs can see color

1. Jim Smith says:

TIm, Great work of art. Question is the grid superimposed over the tie-dyed fabric or is it pieced? I cannot tell from your images. Jim

I took a full panel of the tie dye fabric…to was 40″ wide…then cut it into strips, sewed long strips of the gray fabric between so that the result was about 60″ wide…then I cut that into strips the opposite direction and sewed gray fabric between those strips…creating a grid…but expanding the tie die piece at the same time…hope that makes sense

2. The Frugal Quilter says:

VERY COOL!~ It looks so 3 Dimensional!~ Like a cage or bars or wire or something , separating you and the cyclone of color!~ wow!~ Love it. You need to submit this to magazines…

3. Kate says:

I love the quilting on this, what did you quilt it with? Could I also ask how you transfer designs on other projects, and have you tried saral paper and would you recommend it?

Thanks!…the quilting is done with 12 weight thread…very thick…and I use an embroider needle because a quilting needle is way to small for the big thread!….this thread is a lot like perle cotton that is used for embroidery….I dont have a marked pattern for this….just quilting as I go….for other quilts I use the blue wash away markers, or just a regular graphite pencil….or a white chalk pencil for dark fabrics…never tired saral paper (or even heard if it) If it is a design that I want tp be precice I use a template either bought or more often one I make to fit

• Kate says:

Yes, I thought it was ‘quilting as you go!’ I think it looks wonderful, seems to be so much movement in those free stitches. So your methods for marking are ones I use too, although I like to score mostly. I saw saral paper being used on a youtube post about applique, it seems to be chalk coated paper, a bit like carbon copy paper, that’s wax free. You put it between your design and fabric, chalk side down on right side of fabric, and trace over with a hera marker.
        Thanks for the info again.

sounds like it might be worth a try…sounds easier than cutting templates!

Nice quilting, I think Teddy is just trying to tell you that he’s trying to claim this quilt as his own.

5. liz says:

That is so cool. How are you quilting it?

6. Sharon Eshlaman says:

Teddy is very cool and smart. He knows what colors emphasis his eyes. Give that guy a hug for me and a pat on the back for you as the quilt is amazing. Nice job and thanks for sharing.

7. Carla says:

My son’s dog can see other dogs and animals on the television and will jump at them and growl. Max doesn’t seem to even notice the picture on the screen. Max learned to bark everyday when the mail man comes and so maybe Teddy has figured out your going to take a pic and it’s his way of getting attention. Love your tied dyed quilt! That is my kind of piecing, fun!

Thanks Carla!….and Teddy doesnt see anything on tv…even if I tell him to look…but if he hears someone on tv knock he runs to the door
      he does have a way of learning to get what he wants….today he spent the afternoon with me in the Michigan Floral Association Office…and he barked at the mailman there too!

8. Michelle says:

Fun idea. The neutral bands bring out the color even more.

Thanks!…I was going to use black but I thought that would be too harsh…I am pleased with the way the fabric worked…In real life it is sort of the color of wet cement but it photographs a bit different

9. Ander says:

Dogs can see in shades of yellow, blue, and violet and they’re all washed out. Green looks light grey, red looks dark grey.

Comments

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )