Another Teddy post?

I never intended for this to be a blog about Teddy but I had to post this one today.   I follow several quilt related things on Facebook.  One is “Mark Lipinski’s Fan Page!”  Today one of my quilting friends saw a post on his page and commented ” That looks like Tim Latimer’s Teddy!”  I went to the post to see what she was talking about….here is what I saw

teddy bitton painting

and this was the text that Mark added to the post.

ARTspiration: Artists or art that turns me on and feeds my muse! Like it or dislike it, what about this art inspires your own art or creativity? This piece is called “Dog on a Quilt.” The artist is award winning California artist R. Bitton who has showed extensively for over 20 years at art shows and galleries all over California.

Do you remember the post about Teddy being a celebrity? (see it here)

it featured this picture

2011_0413Jeans-Quilt0020

It is hard to ignore the similarities!   the only difference is that the artist decided to add some red to the quilt.

Lets see them side by side

teddy and painting

I have not been able to find any more information about this artist or how the artist decided to paint Teddy  but I would love to hear any information about it!

Here is Teddy again …I took all these pictures quilt a while ago (Feb 1012) when I first finished the Denim Quilt

Tim & Teddy

I just found out from a reader that the painting is for sale on eBay right now

Item number
200911341737
it is 8×10 and selling for $39..starting Price
And I have been in contact with the artist Ruthie Bitton
she says:

Hi Tim, Besides doing art for over 30 years and participating in over 500 art shows, I now also have an on line book business and I sell many quilting books, which are so popular now.

So my customers send me all sorts of pix of quilts they made etc. I don’t really know these folks, I just communicate with a few grateful customers who send me “thank you” emails. That’s how I got the picture of teddy originally.

Since I love both quilts and dogs, I did a quick sketch. I do these little sketches as a warm up in the morning, before I start on a serious big painting. I hope you saw the photo album of my big painting and appreciate my art (I did and very much like her work) See it here

Thanks Ruthie!!

34 thoughts on “Another Teddy post?

1. Clearly, the artist should give you the painting.

2. Oh yeah–your photo was definitely the inspiration for the painting!

3. Cathi says:

Oh, what fun!! Teddy is now immortalized in a painting!

Cathi

4. karen says:

wow – that sure looks like Teddy on your quilt to me – the added red is the only difference I can see!

5. antarabesque says:

COOL! That is so Teddy! Art inspires art.

6. That’s definitely Teddy. How neat is that.

7. rafael's mum says:

That’s so great! It’s obvious Teddy would become a celebrity, he’s cute, no doubt clever and by now very knowledgeable on quilts! Why not make your own piece of art with Teddy in it? And I agree, that painting should totally be renamed!

8. Carla says:

I definitely think that Teddy has figured out how to get recognized! I agree the artist should give you the painting. If nothing else a box of biscuits or some veggies for Teddy!

9. Kathleen Campbell says:

That photo is definetly your Teddy and your quilt. ( A quilt that btw I want to make.)

10. Lisa Mikel says:

Teddy is famous! That is really neat that someone did a painting from your picture. I love seeing your Teddy pictures. He is such a good boy! I enjoyed your last Tye Dye pics with him too. Its a great quilt. No wonder my Pomeranian Josie has a crush on Teddy.

11. audrey says:

You should at least get a discount! How exciting to have Teddy and his quilt be the ‘muse’ behind a piece of art.:)

I agree that the painting is most definitely of Teddie but does not capture his whole-body yearning to please. Remarkable that the artist saw your photo. Teddie does need a credit, though; you should ask the artist to give credit where credit is due.

13. Valerie says:

Hi, Tim and Teddy,
    I hate to be a party pooper, but the painting (intentionally or not) is an example of copyright infringement. There have been several cases where an artist has transferred an image, from, say a photograph, to another medium, like sculpture, resulting in a copyright infringement case. In one instance, Paula Nadelstern’s fabulous kalideoscope (sp?) patterns were used as a carpet pattern. She sued and won. Not that you would sue, of course. Proper etiquette would have the painter contacting you for permission to recreate Teddy in all his glory. With the advent of Pinterest, it becomes harder and harder to find the originator of images, but if a person is using an image NOT THEIR OWN, they should at least try to credit the originator, or say something like, inspired by or adapted from, a photo from the internet. It’s more honest and polite. But Teddy is magnificent, isn’t he? Easy to get carried away, I guess.

Love the trapunto, the tie-dye and all that you do! All the best!

Thanks Valerie….keeping busy quilting away….so many projects at once..but that keeps it interesting!
      I am not worried about copyright…the artist was not aware that the picture was mine…she thought it belonged to the person who gave it to her so she didn’t think she had to search out ownership….I just think it is great that Teddy is such a popular dog!

14. LoriD says:

What a stinkin’ hoot! I really think you need that painting!
    I hope Teddy doesn’t get a big head from all this attention…..

I am going to get it….I have a bid on it…and I really want it…and I think I will frame it with the photo….it was such a fun coincidence that I even found out about it

15. Emmy says:

Hi Tim!! I’m Emmy your quilt is Gorgeous!!! could you please give me the measurements of the square of the quilt I really appreciate that Thanks!! The little Teddy so adorable!!

Comments

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )