Blazing Star quilt top

I finished the Blazing star quilt top today.  I will still need to add some borders, but the hard part is done.  These are the  antique blocks before piecing together.

2013_0411star-blocks0004

At one time before I got these blocks they were all sewn together.  I have wondered why someone took the time to take them all apart but when I started working on them I knew why.  They were not well made, and that means that they were not all the same size and they were not flat.  I had to make a lot of adjustment in the seam allowances in order to get the points on the stars to match up.

Blazing Star Pieced 005

I had to draw a line from point to point to see where the seams should actually be.

Blazing Star Pieced 003

sometimes it meant a very large seam allowance and sometimes it meant a very small one.

Blazing Star Pieced 001

The wavy blocks added to the challenge.

Blazing Star Pieced 007

So I also had a lot of easing to do in order to make them fit together.  I did this all by hand because I have a lot more control that way.

The pattern of the blocks is called Blazing Star (as well as many many other names)

Blazing Star

I will need to decide on a border fabric for this.  The top is about 60 X 75 now and I would like to bring it up to full size with borders.

I think I will look for a red and a cheddar or maybe something to match the teal centers.

The white squares formed where the blocks come together will be great areas for some fancy quilting!

here are some more pictures

19 thoughts on “Blazing Star quilt top

1. Sharon Eshlaman says:

I commend you for the patience it took to correct the seam allowances and extra fullness issues. It is beautiful, thanks to you. Apparently someone took it apart and when they saw the challenge required to put back together – said “no way”! Nice job.

that is what I thought…once they had it taken apart they just gave up….I am glad I stuck with it …even thought they arent perfect it sure makes for a pretty bright quilt top

2. Martyne says:

Thank you Tim for the lesson on how to put a quilt top together when nothing matches. I have been given a couple of these and have not started the process yet. I think I have been to stuck on conformity, which will not week. Thank you for your inspiring ways! I love the top by the way!

3. audrey says:

The difference in light to dark blocks makes the quilt glow. So pretty. I really like the few blocks that have a random red diamond as well. You did a good job as usual explaining how to make irregularities work together and play nice. Great quilt top!

thanks ……those random red bets are pretty cool now….but when the fabric was new it was all red….a few of the scraps of red she had were from a dye process and faded out over the years and now we see those few mavericks that didnt…Its kind of fun

Looks perfect from this distance! 🙂

5. mehitabel says:

I have found that a lot of “unfinished” quilts are in fact rather poorly made. It’s easy enough to make all the blocks, but then when you go to put them together, all the discrepancies show up! A group of us used to make Log Cabin quilts, marathon-style, for City of Hope patients and an orphanage. My job was to put them together–even with everyone working with the same materials, there would often be up to an inch of difference! I could do it, and the quilter (who was a newbie longarmer) would work in any puckers. We made well over 300 quilts–lots of practice! Very different from the heirloom quilts I work on hand-quilting, but sometimes it’s nice to just let go and fly!

6. Well, that was a tricky job well done! Your patience never fails to amaze me!!

Thanks!….each time I get one finished I say to myself “this is going to be the next one to quilt” But I really like this one so it just might be true this time!

7. Wow, I give you so much credit for taking the time to finish this piece of history. Your work is amazing, don’t ever stop quilting, you are a natural.

8. Kate says:

This is beautiful, what a grand job you’ve done of making it a really stunning top. I love the blocks with odd red and one orange diamonds, and I like your placement of them in the outer rows. Looking forward to seeing how you’ll quilt it

Comments

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )