I finished the Blazing star quilt top today. I will still need to add some borders, but the hard part is done. These are the antique blocks before piecing together.
At one time before I got these blocks they were all sewn together. I have wondered why someone took the time to take them all apart but when I started working on them I knew why. They were not well made, and that means that they were not all the same size and they were not flat. I had to make a lot of adjustment in the seam allowances in order to get the points on the stars to match up.
I had to draw a line from point to point to see where the seams should actually be.
sometimes it meant a very large seam allowance and sometimes it meant a very small one.
The wavy blocks added to the challenge.
So I also had a lot of easing to do in order to make them fit together. I did this all by hand because I have a lot more control that way.
The pattern of the blocks is called Blazing Star (as well as many many other names)
I will need to decide on a border fabric for this. The top is about 60 X 75 now and I would like to bring it up to full size with borders.
I think I will look for a red and a cheddar or maybe something to match the teal centers.
The white squares formed where the blocks come together will be great areas for some fancy quilting!
here are some more pictures