Single Wedding Ring Top Finished

I bought a partially made vintage quilt top last summer and I have been working on it for the last few days.

It was a fun project.  I started this last summer and it got put aside, but I am glad I went back to it.  When I first posted about this project I had several people say that they didn’t think I should use the red.  I wanted to stick with red because that is that the original maker intended and I am so glad that I did.    I love how bold it looks.  I wouldn’t use this much red on every quilt….but this I like!

finished rings 005

The quilt top ended up at 60″ x 75″  and then I added the border, it is now 75″  x 90″.   The biggest challenge for me when doing a border is math.  I wanted to mimic the piecing of the rings with the inner border so I had to do some math to figure out the sizes of the pieces to make it all fit and make the corners work.   Do you remember thinking back in algebra and geometry class “when will I ever need to know this?”  well here it is!

Here is Teddy looking very proud of the quilt top.   He likes to think that he helped

finished rings 010

he is actually a good helper…he just sits and watches and thinks

finished rings 009

and then enjoys the results

finished rings 002

I will draw up a pattern for this one and post it some time soon if anyone is interested in making one.

67 thoughts on “Single Wedding Ring Top Finished

1. Ann Hancock says:

It came together just beautifully! Great job!
    ….How are you feeling this week?

thanks Ann!
      I am still a bit sore….they tell me I still cant lift anything over 10 pounds for another week, but other than that I have not felt so good in well over a year! I cant believe how much difference it has made to get rid of the gallbladder

2. Celia says:

Wow! I wouldn’t be brave enough to redo the blocks, or sections that were not the correct size. You did a fantastic job of making it all go together, and the colors are so dramatic. Thanks for sharing.

3. Laura says:

What a great job you did, Tim! And a great choice of fabric for the inner border, too! I’ll look forward to seeing what quilting pattern you choose. And thanks for the pics of Teddy–they always make my day!

4. Janine Huisjen says:

So vintage, but oh, so modern! Love it. Great work, and thanks for the pictures of how you redid the circles.

5. Phyllis O'Connor says:

One can sure see why the original maker abandoned this project–it was above her or his skill level. You did a great job. The border is perfect; well, the top is perfect. Thanks for sharing.
    Phyllis

thanks Phyllis….I think you are right about the original maker …several of those rings showed evidence of having been piece in an ripped out several times….before she finally gave up

6. Kathleen Campbell says:

Love this quilt. Maybe it is the red, my favorite color. Teddy is the sweetest pup just sitting there for as long as it takes. Maybe he thinks he is a model.

7. I love your single wedding ring. The striped border is perfect. You’re such an inspiration. It’s lovely to see Teddy modelling your quilt top. He looks so handsome on a red background.

8. Tica says:

all that work paid off– it’s great!

9. Heidi Selig says:

I love this and would love to make one,did you piece the stripe in the border? How about concentric circles quilting?Can’t wait to see it quilted.

thanks!…yes I did piece the border….I did that by machine….long strips of black and white sewn together and then cut into strips…I should have shown that in the pictures

10. Lisa Mikel says:

Great quilt top Tim! Enjoyed the pictures. That was a lot of work to finish it. You amaze me and inspire me on all you do and get done. Your very talented.

11. Jo Major CiolinoJ says:

The red is SPECTACULAR and definitely the right thing to do. Love, love the quilt and would really like to see a pattern for those rings. You’ve done a fine deed rescuing and finishing this quilt. I’m sure the original maker is very pleased with you!

12. Sharon says:

What a great top and thanks for sharing so much of your journey to the finish. I LOVE the red, think it really makes a statement on a quilt as graphic as this. I’m teaching a dresden ruler class and have made a few wagon wheel blocks to show, but I’ll be adding your link to my handout, Great job!

13. debraspincic says:

What a super quilt top! So cheerful and lively!

14. seapunk2 says:

Now that is one unusual quilt! It just POPS! I, too, take old quilts and make them new. I just purchased a vintage Doves at the Window, hand pieced top, and am looking for ideas on how to quilt it. Thank you for sharing this process.

15. Florence McConnell says:

Wow, what a beauty (the quilt) and I am in love with Teddy (the dog).

16. Gisele says:

Wow Tim, it looks fabulous, love the boldness! Have recently discovered your blog and have added you to my list, love all your quilts & gorgeous hand quilting, you have inspired me to hand quilt too! Take care 🙂

17. audrey says:

I love this one! It’s fabulous esp. with the inner border finishing it off just right. You are so efficient at remaking your blocks and making sure everything comes together well! Congrats on another really great re-do/fix/rescue mission! Kudos to Teddy for his patience too.:)

Thanks!!…..the best part of this project was that I had enough matching red fabric…I bought it last year before I really knew how I was going to do it…and I ended up with just enough …only a few inches left

18. Sharon Eshlaman says:

I love it and the red really does it. Awesome job, but I wouldn’t expect anything less from you and Teddy. I’d love to make the pattern, if and when, you post it. It would be a challenge for me. I just love Teddy – think both of you are lucky to have each other. Keep feeling better…

19. Connie Johnson says:

Your perseverance paid off. Re-doing is always more work and often more frustrating than just making a new one. So glad you resurrected this beauty. Love the border ! The original maker had such color sense. Thanks for sharing the pattern. You’re always so generous with your talent.

thanks Connie! I will be writing up a pattern soon and post it as a PDF file….and now that I have finished this one…I might want to make one from start to finish myself….I think there is a lot of room to have fun with fabrics ad colors in this pattern

20. Carla says:

I really like this one, it’s so graphic and has a lot of area to do some wonderful hand quilting.

21. Mary Anne says:

Fantastic job! I love the way you tell of the problems and solutions as you went along. Very instructive. Love the almost-finished project! Glad you stayed with the red, too. – Mary Anne

22. tjsnana says:

It is just wonderful!!!!! I love the pieced border. It makes it all pop!

23. It looks fabulous, Tim!! I love the red – it’s perfect. And shows Teddy off beautifully! I would love a pattern for this one – thank you.

24. Dawn Fox Cooper says:

I like the red fabric for the setting pieces. When I look at the finished quilt top I think of cogs rather than wedding rings!
    But I do like it.

25. Judy says:

Love it! That red background and border treatment is spectacular and sets off your photo assistant nicely! You continue to inspire us! Would love to try this quilt pattern.

Perfect results! I would be very interested in the template patterns, it’s a wowser!

27. Donna K says:

Wow. You made that project look fairly simple. Redrafting those circles and the other shape as well as some expert sewing on your part really kept them nice and flat. I would have been afraid I would work each piece all out of shape while piecing them. Did you use any sizing spray on your fabric before cutting it out?
    This is a project that I would do if I had someone like you to look over my shoulder for the first few seams. Curves intimidate me, could you tell? Nice job Tim and thanks for sharing with all of us.

thanks Donna
      I did not spray or size the fabrics…..the thing i find with curved pieces it that the soften the fabric the easier it is to sew….its easier to make the fabrics bend into each other……I was intimidated by curves too….but once I did a few I got to see that they arent hard

28. absolutely gorgeous. so glad you used all that red cuz it just works. and that striped border is genius. worth all that work you put into it!

29. Beth Kolodziej Donaldson says:

Awesome Border. And Teddy is always great.

30. Laura in IA says:

Spectacular results. I love that you showed the process you went through. I loved Algebra and Geometry and am delighted that I get to use it so much now. By the way I first thought the lady in the plaid dress in your header was on her cell phone. LOL

31. Victoria says:

I Love this! traditional and modern — stunning and inspiring. Definitely want to make this one. I look forward to seeing the pattern. But in the meantime I think I’ll take a stab at creating one!

go for it!….I have more fun making my own version of a patter because I can do it they way it works best for me……but I will still post the pattern soon

32. […] I started this quilt last summer and got back to it this year.  I finished the top on April 22 (see that post here) […]

33. Victoria says:

Wow! I just saw this post for the first time. Love it! This will be helpful t me as I make this gorgeous ring quilt. Bookmarking this page. Thanks a mill! for this post

Comments

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )