Pattern for the rings quilt

After finishing this last re-do of the old partially finished quilt top I think I might make another from start to finish.   I drew up a pattern for the one I just finished which is 20 rings and will finish at about 75″ x 90″

here is the PDF  of the templates rings pattern) ….you can print . (please not that I made a mistake when I drew this pattern….the circle for the center should be 10″ in diameter…you will need to adjust this!)

here is how I would do it.

First make 20 rings

A few more of the rings

next add the center circles

the folds in the circle help to line up the pins

the folds in the circle help to line up the pins

it takes quite a few pins

it takes quite a few pins

here is one fixed and flat

press flat and its done

Next join the rings

4 rings joined

4 rings joined

And once all 20 are joined you have this

all 16 rings joined

all 20 rings joined

add the corners and the setting pieces

all the setting pieces in on the edges, I am ready to add the border

all the setting pieces in on the edges, I am ready to add the border

the inner border is made up of a strip set.   I cut strips of black and white fabric 2″ wide and sewed together, pressing to the dark.

strip set 001

I cut that into 3.5″ wide strips and joined them together to make the appropriate number of rectangles to make the border ( I added one additional black piece (2″ x 3.5″) to the ends of the strip to make the corners square. refer to the picture of the finished quilt top.

After that I cut the wide red border.  I cut the strips 6″ wide.

I pieced all the rings by hand, but I used the machine for the borders.

I hope this works for you!

Happy quilting

34 thoughts on “Pattern for the rings quilt

Thanks! I have several old rings plus with this information, perhaps I can get them re-done or fixed as you have done.

2. Victoria Watts says:

Hi, Tim Hope your recovery is coming along smoothly

I LOVE this ring pattern and plan to make it. Where can I find the pattern for the rings themselves?

Thank you!

Victoria Watts

hi….im doing much better…should be back to normal soon…the ring pattern is on the pdf file it is the small rectangle looking piece…..16 of one color and 16 of another or a total of 32 of them will make one ring

3. Regan says:

Thanks for the tips, Tim! I love this quilt! And that striped border is awesome on it! It’s going in my queue! Thanks!

4. Marta Leggett says:

Tim, thanks for sharing, this is such a great pattern for scraps! My niece is getting married and i was looking for a short cut for double wedding rings, do you think I could get by with the single?? I hope so!
    Thanks again, great quilt?

5. Sharon Eshlaman says:

Tim, How generous of you! Looks like I have a project to do. Perhaps this calls for a trip to Lollys in Shipshewana, Ind for some fabric buying. Thanks for the pattern and the inspiration. Hugs to Teddy for me.

6. eeyoreyikes says:

Thanks alot Tim, downloaded and thinking about fabrics.

7. Connie Johnson says:

Thanks so much. Your sharing of all things quilt related is very much appreciated. You expertise has helped me so much. I like your do it yourself style.

8. Thanks Tim, you’re a star!!

9. Anne Kasten says:

Thanks SO much Tim for your generosity in sharing the pattern and in your continual stream of inspiration. I love reading your blog every time it pops up.
    I was very intrigued by the first photo in this series. I liked the overlapping look of the rings. Not as traditional a pattern, but full of energy and fun.

best wishes to you and Teddy

Thanks Anne
      the rings do look rather interesting all overlapped …..that could be an interesting way to do it….make the rings and overlap and applique them to a solid fabric base….I might need to try that

10. Kathleen Campbell says:

You are a ‘SWEETIE PIE’. IT might take me a year but I will make a quilt like this with lots of red. I love red.
    Hope you are feeling good. ‘Hello’ to Teddy.

11. Judy Regan says:

Hi Tim, Wow that was fast! Thanks for the pattern and photo details!! 🙂 Judy

Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2013 15:43:30 +0000 To: jarster12@hotmail.com

12. Thanks this is nice of you to do this. The quilt turned out swell and I will have to put this on my list

13. Genie says:

I love the red background. It really makes those rings pop.

14. Victoria says:

Hi, Tim
    I’m working on my first ring using the template you provided. It appears that the circle is not large enough to for the ring. I double checked that my ring seams were 1/4″. Will you double check the circle template. I’m wondering if the cutting line is or should have been the 1/4″ seam line. I know i need to do a lot of pinning to get it to fit but I have way to much ring to fit around the circle. Thank you

Ok I just checked….and I drew the pattern wrong!….yikes the circle needs to be 10 inches in diameter…..I will need to re do that pattern….but you can expand yours to 10 inches for the circle…so sorry about that

15. Victoria says:

Oh! I am so HAPPY!! to hear that I am not going crazy! Bless you! Before I cut out all my pieces I always do a test block. So good thing I caught it now 🙂 Thank you! Thank you! I really love this quilt!

I am so glad that you didnt cut them all out!!……Try it with the 10 inch size……it will take a lot of pins to get it to fit but that is the size I used…I just didn’t draw it right….Not sure How I made the mistake but the rest of the pieces look right to me….thanks for letting me know about it…I will draw up a new one to post soon, but for now I have added notes to the posts to let others know

16. Victoria says:

Ok, it fits a little better. I took my protractor and drew a 10 1/2″ circle and divided it into fourths and pinned it real good. After sewing the center to the rings and pressing it it’s not lying flat. It’s curving like a shallow bowl. But I won’t be beat! I’m going to work up another one until I get it right 🙂

I drew mine at 10″ not 10.5″…it was the size that fit best with the variety of the rings that I had……..I did the piecing by hand and eyeballed the seams…..so I might have made them more than 1/4 inch…..some of them did the bowl thing and i just pressed them flat…..but if they are looking like a bowl it is because the center is too big

17. Victoria says:

Sounds good. I’ll back it down to 10″ I knew an older woman who made traditional wedding ring quilts by hand “eyeballing”!! the whole quilt. Now that is impressive!

Comments