Solomon’s Temple Blocks

Today I started cleaning a set of antique quilt blocks.   The pattern is Solomon’s Temple. You can see the post about them here

2012_012510-6-1200022012_012510-6-120011

They are pretty dirty, and I want to get them cleaned up a bit before I sew them together .  I always wash my quilts when I am done hand quilting them, and I wanted to be sure they wouldn’t bleed so a rince before I start is a good idea.   I use hot water and Synthrapol

solomon's temple-cleaning 008

a soak in this and then a good rinse in cold water and then I press them flat and dry.

solomon's temple-cleaning 004

solomon's temple-cleaning 001

I have 8 done so far

solomon's temple-cleaning 006

look at the water

solomon's temple-cleaning 007

Glad that I decided to take the time to do it!  It also makes working with the old fabric a lot easier to get it rinsed.  100 years ago when these were being pieced together and pressed the maker used starch (that is not uncommon) and that makes the fabric stiff….and the old starch really holds on to dirt!  with the starch and dirt rinsed out they become much easier to work with.

The blocks are pretty impressive to me because of the very small pieces

solomon's temple-cleaning 005

each 10″ block is made up of 97 pieces!

these are pretty scrappy blocks but the maker kept with the basic color arrangement on each block.  Here is one that I drew up and added some colors and one of the real blocks to compare.

solomon block solomon's temple-cleaning 001

When you put the blocks together you get a great secondary pattern

king Solomon's Temple-layout

it looks as if there are 2 different blocks that make up the quilt.

I will need to add a border to make it full sized….or maybe just leave it small and call it a lap quilt.

Happy quilting

25 thoughts on “Solomon’s Temple Blocks

That will be another stunning quilt! I have been digging out my old blocks and finding too many! A lot of the rings, but find that they are really Dresden plates and some with the pointed instead of rounded edges.

2. Kate says:

These are beautiful, I haven’t seen this block before. It must be great to watch all that dirt come out and see the colours come back. Any ideas on how you’ll quilt this one?

3. I am working with some old blocks too! I rinsed mine out and ironed them I didn’t know about the starch and had wondered why some of them were so stiff! Thanks for the information.

Good luck with them. I think you will find that they are a lot easier to work with now that you have rinsed out the starch. It took me several quilts to learn that tip

4. karen says:

nice looking pattern for that block – yes a lot of dirt accumulated!

5. Linda says:

Wonderful post! I am ready now to do a little block washing!! Thank you. Looking forward to seeing this one quilted.

6. Ooh, I like these blocks. The red and white stripe really sets them off, and that secondary pattern is magic.

7. Sharon Eshlaman says:

I really love those blocks and the colors. That one is right up my alley. You are one blessed guy, my friend!

8. Sue says:

Those are really beautiful blocks, Tim. Love how you had them laid out.
    That water looks kind of dirty 😛 Good thing you are washing them. I find that pre-washing all of my fabrics makes hand work a lot easier.

9. audrey says:

Great blocks! Love the colors and fabrics used. Thanks for showing the pre-wash process. I have some old blocks that need cleaned.

this is a block pattern that I dont think I have the patience to make myself….so many pieces!….so I was glad to find these!! and I look forward to putting them together once the cleaning is done it should be easier….I will need to be careful to get all those points to match!…I will do it by hand

10. debraspincic says:

Another great project. I’ll be watching!

11. jamee says:

its beautiful! right up my alley!

12. Kat says:

I am impressed by your work.
    Like your blog ! 🙂

13. Janet says:

I love these blocks! An unbeatable color scheme. Would be a lot of fun to piece I think. :0)

Comments