I finished the tie dye quilt today.
I started this quilt with a tie dyed panel of fabric that I purchased last year at an AQS show.
I cut the panel into strips and added gray strip of fabric between the strips
I cut the finished piece in strips the opposite direction and sewed them together with the grey strips again…creating the grid…..Teddy was a big help.
The finished top was bigger than the starting panel because of the addition of the strips.
That extra panel will be another quilt some time soon.
here is the finished top.
The quilting is done by hand. I used cotton batting ( Quilters Dream Cotton Select) and Aurifil 12 weight thread and an embroidery needle.
I did all the quilting in my standing hoop.
with some careful supervision from Teddy
I didn’t want to add a separate binding because it really didn’t need another visual element. To bind the quilt I cut all three layers, top, batting and backing, even with a large ruler and rotary cutter. Next I folded back the top layer and cut the batting 1/2″ shorter. I then turned in the top 1/4″ and the backing 1/4″ and pinned them together , and then top stitched them together close to the edge. I should have taken pictures of this step but I guess I was too excited to get it finished. Anyway here is a picture of the finished edge. (and how I signed this one)
Here is the edge from the back
The quilt finished at 56″ square after it was washed and dried. I always wash and dry them when finished because I like the look I get from the shrinkage of the batting.
Here is the back of the quilt
And here are some pictures of the finished quilt (click to enlarge)
Now its time to get back to work on one of the many other projects that I have in progress.