Tie Dye Quilt Finished

I finished the tie dye quilt today.

I started this quilt with a tie dyed panel of fabric that I  purchased last year at an AQS show.

tie-dye 004

I cut the panel into strips and added gray strip of fabric between the strips

tie-dye 002

I cut the finished piece in strips the opposite direction and sewed them together with the grey strips again…creating the grid…..Teddy was a big help.

tie-dye 003

tie-dye 001

The finished top was bigger than the starting panel because of the addition of the strips.

tie-dye-top 007

That extra panel will be another quilt some time soon.

here is the finished top.

tie-dye-top 004

The quilting is done by hand.  I used cotton batting ( Quilters Dream Cotton Select)  and Aurifil 12 weight thread and an embroidery needle.

tie dye quilting 006

I did all the quilting in my standing hoop.

tie dye teddy 001

with some careful supervision from Teddy

tie dye teddy 008

I didn’t want to add a separate binding because it really didn’t need another visual element.  To bind the quilt I cut all three layers, top, batting and backing, even with a large ruler and rotary cutter.  Next I folded back the top layer and cut the batting 1/2″ shorter.  I then turned in the top 1/4″ and the backing 1/4″ and pinned them together , and then top stitched them together close to the edge. I should have taken pictures of this step but I guess I was too excited to get it finished.  Anyway here is a picture of the finished edge. (and how I signed this one)

tie dye quilt finished 005

Here is the edge from the back

tie dye quilt finished 014

The quilt finished at 56″ square after it was washed and dried.   I always wash and dry them when finished because I like the look I get from the shrinkage of the batting.

Here is the back of the quilt

tie dye quilt finished 013

And here are some pictures of the finished quilt (click to enlarge)

Now its time to get back to work on one of the many other projects that I have in progress.

26 thoughts on “Tie Dye Quilt Finished

That is one incredible quilt! wow, I need to look around here and find something to cut up…..
    And I like your version of binding, that looks nice!

2. At first it was a little hard on the eyes but once I got my head wrapped around it, it is beautiful!!

3. Ruth Funk says:

Great quilt, love the backing too!

4. Sharon Eshlaman says:

Wow, you and Teddy sure had a vision for something special. That is beautiful – stunning. I hope you realize what special talents you have. Some people can quilt but not everyone has the vision and inspiration to make such one of a kind cloths. Pat on the back for you, Tim and Teddy gets a hug.

5. Cathi says:

It’s fantastic! What a great way to use a piece of fabric like that panel!

6. K says:

Tim, love this quilt! Thanks for sharing so much of your process and how your did the edges really rocks… love your quilting style 🙂 Kathi

Thanks!! I always wonder how people will respond to a non-traditional quilt…..I like all kinds and don’t want to just make one style….both very traditional…and very non-traditional

7. Regan says:

This is fantastic in every way! I love it!

8. Bertha Mallard says:

You mentioned that you quilted this quilt on your standing hoop. Please tell me the brand name and size you use. I have been thinking about buying a standing hoop for myself. Can’t quilt away from me so a frame would never do. I work in a hand-held hoop and I get tired very quickly. Help me, please.

9. Siobhan says:

Love it! I’ve been debating how to quilt my Charleston Baskets and I think this gave me the inspiration I needed! Need to dig my standing hoop out of the closet…Also, this quit reminds me so much of my Mom who loved to teach tie-dying and made some really fun t-shirts!

how great!….I love how a quilt can evoke memories…and differently for each person….
      I love the standing hoop…since I got it I hardly ever use the others…keeps all the weight of my arms and I can go a lot faster

10. Pamela says:

Your vision for this quilt from the tie-dye fabric shows such creativity. Like how you finished the edge of the quilt.

Thanks Pamela!….this was so much fun……no pattern….just cut and go!…what a fun change for the very precise work on the whole cloth quilt I was working on…..I love bot ways of working, but they are very different

11. So effective! Great visual impact.

12. Very nice quilt! I’ve been doing a similar thing for a while with large format (usually Japanese) fabrics for a while. Mine are a little on the regimented/ precise/robotic side, but I really enjoyed your approach.
    Here’s an example- just a runner. Anyway, enjoyed your quilt.
    runner6-28-10

Comments

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )