Ring Quilting

I started some quilting on the Red Single Wedding Ring quilt top. (click here for the pattern  rings pattern )     ( pleas note that I made a mistake in the pattern …the center circle should be 10 inches in diameter….please make that adjustment)

finished rings 004

Since the vintage fabrics are so varied and many are very thick I can’t do very delicate quilting.  I decided to do big stitches on this one using blue thread (Aurifil 12 weight)

I am not being fussy about the quilting…..I feel like this is better suited to a less formal treatment.  I am not marking anything, just quilting.

circle quilting 003

Swirls in the circle.

circle quilting 006circle quilting 004

and simple outlining in the setting pieces.

circle quilting 005

The backing is simple muslin

circle quilting 001 circle quilting 002

Since I think the fabrics are from the 60’s and 70’s I felt like the batting would have been poly…so that is what I am using.   It is a rather simple quilting design so this one should go relatively fast.   More pictures soon….and maybe a video of big stitches.

Yesterday I posted a song “Seeing Nelly Home”  Here is another version by Johnny Cash

21 thoughts on “Ring Quilting

Those circular stitches look great in the centers! Nice quick and effective!
    Ok, now that the song was out of my mind, it’s back for the day! 🙂 Old Mother Carter sure could play!

2. Victoria says:

Beautiful!! Definitely plan to make this one too. What are you quilting this one in? a hoop, floor frame?

I have it in the hoop stand right now….it is easy for me to switch back and forth between quilts in that stand..the hand held hoop is good for that too, but the one on the stand keeps the quilt off of my lap and it is getting a bit warm to have a quilt in my lap!

3. Ann says:

It is very striking! Such bright red and dynamic rings. Love the border too. I enjoy reading about your process and look forward to more.

4. Kathi says:

tim your free hand quilting is wonderful! Can’t wait to have the skill to do that all freehand.. you are right.. the quilt lends itself to it. Thanks for sharing the kind of thread you used too! Very nice how the poly shows your stitches so nice on the back without washing it too! Kathi

5. belinda says:

Oh yes….your quilting choices are excellent for this top!!

Round and round she goes………..

6. audrey says:

This is going to be fabulous! Love your swirl quilting.:) I’m always so amazed at how you’re able to go back and forth from your very formal quilting to improv. quilting. Very inspirational!

It helps me to not go crazy to be able to change back and forth….I need to be in the right mood to do the very tiny precise quilting….this I can do with out really needing to focus much….so I can think of other things at the same time

7. Kate says:

This is great! It makes me dizzy! A video of big stitching would be perfect as I want to have a go myself. I’ve been practising free stitching and I love it as over-all wonkyness can look amazing I think, (well, that’s my excuse…) But you would think you had marked those circles, your free quilting is so neat – I enjoy looking at your quilting so much so thanks again for so many pictures.

8. gardnerpam6 says:

this is my very favorite quilt of yours. Red is my color and I love all the materials in a wedding ring quilt

9. Dora Valverde says:

I love it! Red is also one of my favorite colors. Thanks for sharing.

10. […] started quilting it on May 5 (see that post here) and I did a short video of the quilting (see that […]

11. Clara Zolud says:

Your quilt is beautiful and the video is great! Of course, I could listen to Johnny Cash sing anything! I listen to him all day when I am quilting or machine sewing. Thanks for sharing Tim.

Comments