Bridal Bouquet Quilt Top

A few Days Ago I wrote about some Bridal Bouquets that I made .

bridal bouquets 002

I was reminded that there is a quilt pattern from the 30’s called Bride’s Bouquet.  It is also called The Nose Gay.

nosegay

You may not be surprised to know that I have a quilt top in my collection in this pattern.

When I bought the quilt the blocks were arranged differently, they were placed together so that they looked like complex stars.

nosegay-star

The most traditional setting is with the blocks set on point as in this example from the quilt index.

The blocks are also usually made with all the bouquet handles in the same color, usually green as in this example.

Mine were all different, and I took them all apart and set them back together like this.

2010_06134-27-11-tops0004

It also has an ice cream cone border. The finished size is 80″ x 90″.

bridal bouquet top 5-12-13 012

many of the pieces have seams which I presume to be from when they were feed sacks

bridal bouquet top 5-12-13 011

I had planned to quilt this right away, and then new projects kept piling up on top of it and I forgot all about it.

bridal bouquet top 5-12-13 001

but I really like it, I think I have to move it up in the stack and get it quilted.  Here are a bunch more pictures (click to enlarge)

Happy Mother’s Day

and Happy Quilting

30 thoughts on “Bridal Bouquet Quilt Top

1. Sharon Eshlaman says:

That is truly beautiful. Thanks for sharing and for the Mother’s Day wishes.

I was sooo surprised to see that you had one of these quilts! 🙂
    It will be a great one to see what you do with it!

3. Stella says:

Oh, what fun to view these quilts!
    Stella

Swooooon. Those fabrics — some are just picture pretty ’30s, but aren’t some of them from different decades? Interesting. Very cool that it came with the ice cream cone border. And interesting to think of quilting pattern — the cone border with the only curves versus the strongly geometric flowers. How to make it luscious? Interesting. I know you’re a man for a quilt top bargain, but it’s hard for me to imagine you getting something this nice for a good price. But I’m confident you did.

it does seem to span a few decades in the fabric….I imagine a very large pile of material in someones sewing basket that got used up for this. I bought this a few years ago…I know It was before I started a blog or I would have taken before pictures and pictures as I worked on re doing the setting…can’t remember what I paid, but I would have to say it was a good price….I only really remember the prices of those I pay too much for! It really did look confusing when the blocks were set as stars and I think that made people not want to bid on it…It took me a few days to take it all apart, re size all the blocks to be uniform and put it back together
      I will have to come up with a good quilting plan that enhances the bouquets …it might be a lot of outlining…the curvy border is a nice contrast with all those angles so I know I will keep that and bind around the curves

• Kristen says:

Yes, it does look slightly scrappy — adds interest. And I can understand that others didn’t spot the (beauty of the) actual block pattern — much like on HGTV when the young couples who walk into rooms in houses they are considering buying and are put off by the current paint color. This always prompts us to yell at the TV screen, It’s just paint, it can be changed! Probably there were many who couldn’t see past the setting of the nose gay blocks. It also strikes me, from all your posts, the physics of piecing — very complicated (I’m sure your quilting fan base would chime in on that).

I have to say this pattern is not an easy one to piece!…I am glad that someone else did it!!…even if they are less than perfect…It imperfection that I can live with…adds to the charm

5. Renie says:

Your pix are like getting flowers for Mothers Day. Thank you, Renie

6. Valerie says:

What a lovely quilt!

7. Janet says:

What fabulous blocks with so much variety in fabrics! I pieced some of these blocks recently but cheated with construction and used hst’s :0) I look forward to seeing how you quilt this one.

I don’t think that is cheating….if it makes it easier Its a good thing! Not sure yet about the quilting, but will post as soon as I get to it

8. thanks for all your wonderful informative postings. This nosegay pattern when joined together end tip to end tip makes a fabulous secondary pattern and is an optical illusion, which you may recall I love having written the book Quilts of Illusion, I would have loved to publish that version.

it sure does form an interesting pattern when set that way…might have to do one that way as well! I will keep my eyes open for another top 😉

9. Victoria says:

Tim, on average, how many full size quilts do you quilt up in a year?

last year I did 12…that was the most I ever did….but I hope to be able to keep that pace up….when I have several going at once it seems like I dont finish any for a while and then there might be one every few weeks as I work through the backlog

10. Angie says:

When I read that you took this quilt apart and reset the blocks my jaw dropped! But then I realized whose blog I was reading, Hehehe! You are a very ambitious quilter and my hat’s off to you. I have to ask, how do you get so much done? I mean I am a stay at home empty nester and I am lucky if I get to quilt 4 hours in a day. I guess I am green wishing I had even a thimble full of your talent an energy. Beautiful work, keep it coming!!

I guess I get a lot done because I really put in a lot of time on quilting….I am up until midnight every night…so I get about 6 hours a day most days….but I am obsessed I think….but in a good way

11. […] wanted to do a nosegay block for ages. Then I saw some on Tim Latimer’s Bridal Bouquet Quilt Top blog post and that got me really thinking. I knew that with the kite and the .75″ 45-degree diamonds I […]

12. Lovely post Tim. I so enjoy the fusion of history and quilting. You really should consider getting the quilt quilted – if not by yourself then by somebody else. It is a work of art.

I do plan to repair and Hand quilt it….as I will eventually do to my entire collection….I couldn’t give up control of that to anyone else 😉

13. Sharon Eshlaman says:

How many quilts do you estimate to be in your collection?

Comments