Red and White Applique Blocks

Today I got a group of antique quilt blocks from eBay.  It is difficult to date the blocks because the fabric is  solid red and white.  Printed fabrics are much easier to date based on the design.  These I will just call old.

The blocks are not completed.  The pieces were cut out and basted to the squares, but I will need to do the applique.  You may remember that I hate to applique….but I could not resist these blocks!

One of the blocks has the applique started.

antique red applique blocks 005

The seller was selling them individually, but I bought all they had.  I got a total of 13. Each block is 18″ square

Here is how they look if I set them 3 x 4

antique red applique blocks 001

and here is how they look if I set them on point and use all 13.

applique on point 002

Either was  think I will make a border to coordinate with the design.  I can not find a name for the design but I will keep looking.

The seller also sent 2 additional blocks

antique red applique blocks 003antique red applique blocks 004

These will go into another project some day.

Here are a bunch of pictures of them all (click to enlarge)

Of course I will hand quilt this when all the applique is done….but that will be a while yet!

42 thoughts on “Red and White Applique Blocks

1. Rita Larson says:

Tim,
    You hate to appliqué? Bite your tongue. 😏
    My favorite of all quilting techniques.

2. Sharon Eshlaman says:

Love the red and white. I can’t wait to see how you quilt this one. Is Teddy being camera shy? I haven’t seen him in a couple of days. Enjoy your new project.

Thanks….they will be fun to quilt. Teddy is a nervous wreck today…..the house is being re-roofed….there are strangers in his yard, and shingles everywhere…and pounding and banging overhead….it is a very hard day for him

3. That’s going to be a lovely quilt. I love red.

4. colleen says:

Do you suppose those were to be two pillow cases or Shams.? So vibrant still for antiques.

The seller said she had them in inventory and thought I would like them….I think they were part of another quilt….and based on the applique I think a different quilter….but they would be good for pillows!

5. Laura says:

You haven’t asked us to weigh in on which setting we prefer, but in case you’re interested, I like the first one (not on point) best. Beautiful blocks!

6. Kathi says:

What a find on eBAy.. I never thought they would sell blocks like that! Amazing that you knew what to search for too! Thanks for sharing your find!

7. Janet says:

What interesting blocks!! To me they look like lots of fun as all the prep work is finished. :0)

8. Karin Peirce says:

Holy moly, those blocks are fantastic, how wonderful that you got them. My computer died so I’m borrowing my son’s but i don’t look on eBay anymore. But I may have to scroll through a few things while I have a minute. I have lots of old blocks from eBay years ago, but I never saw such great red and white bits. Applique is
    my favorite method to sew. Ok I have to go look at them again.

9. Karin Peirce says:

Wow the layouts with those blocks are so nice, and the two extra ones are so dramatic, I can hardly wait to se this one assembled…

Good luck with that one, it will be a very neat quilt!

11. Miriam says:

What a great find!!!
    I do hope you enjoy applique a little more after you have completed these blocks. What a great design! I love the play of the blocks in the first setting.

12. Tica says:

Love the red and white and like some of the other commenters, applique is my absolute favorite. Great find!

Where did they come from? California by any chance? Or the West Coast? The two extra blocks just scream Hawaiian to me, and I’ve seen similar quilts from eBay sellers on the West Coast. I would say the bigger set of blocks might be True Lovers Knot by way of Hawaiian applique. I don’t know if there are encyclopedias of Hawaiian patterns, but that would be where I would look.

the seller is from PA, and the 2 extra blocks are definitely a PA pattern…the folded paper cutting is a PA German traditional quilt method. I believe, but can’t prove , that the Missionaries to Hawaii brought the tradition of quilting and folded paper cutting to the islands and there it developed into what we know of the Hawaiian quilt, but they are made as one giant motif the fills the entire quilt, not individual blocks…..the others I am not sure about ….but Since the seller is PA, I would think the pattern may be from there as well…so many seem to be made up and have no real pattern name…this could be one of those cases.

• Kristen says:

Oh, that would be a simpler relative of schnitte (sp?), or whatever that’s called, right. Yes, it looks familiar in that context, I just tend not to remember the regular German quilt influence in PA versus the Amish/Menn quilting camp. I agree, the pattern is probably made up. Looks stunning in the different settings.

right…at least that is how I am looking at it….Scherenschnitte…but I could be wrong about it….I spent some time in the quilt index and found several similar examples with a New Jersey origin also

14. Siobhan says:

I think I like both settings equally…and that hardly ever happens (I love on point!) The “bonus” blocks remind me of a block called lobster claw…nice find. We’ll make an appliquer out of you yet!

Thanks!….I am actually looking forward to giving the applique a go…I need to get some matching thread, and some applique needles…Those I had I used for piecing and they have all become bent and dull….I might need to make a trip to the store today

15. I prefer the 4×3 setting – I just find it more visually pleasing. I love applique …… perhaps you just need to experiment with the various methods to find the one that suits you. I much prefer using freezer paper, I don’t much like needleturn.

16. njquilter24 says:

I love these blocks, wow ! beautiful quilt and oh red and white 🙂
    I hope you learn to love appliqué. I like the first setting better and I am usually an on point quilter!
    Kathie

17. Mary Britton says:

Such beautiful blocks. I love to applique. I will be looking forward to seeing how you finish these. I like both settings. Happy quilting to you and hope these change your mind about applique!

18. Karin Peirce says:

I noticed today in a book just published by the Brooklyn Museum, called Workt by Hand, it is a catalogue for a show that is on at the moment, and there is an album quilt made up of red and white blocks very similar to the two extra ones you got , the difference being there is a white circle in the middle where the signatures are. It is dated 1853-1865. So perhaps they are older thsn one would think…

I think you are right….I have also seen a similar pattern with the circle in the center, and they always date it to the 1850 – 60 era….and I have not seen a similar pattern in newer quilts….
      It sounds like a great exhibit, I have never been to the Brooklyn museum…..is the book available on line….I would love to see it

19. […] have been doing a bit of applique on the antique blocks that I posted about earlier (https://timquilts.com/2013/05/13/red-and-white-applique-blocks/)  I have finished […]

Comments