Dogwood Blossom Quilt Top

A new vintage quilt top today.  The pattern is called Dogwood Blossom

Dogwood Blossom

This top is 70″ x 83″  and mostly hand pieced.

5-14-13 014

The piecing is not the best work but I will do some adjusting on that.

5-14-13 020

Click to enlarge these

And here are a few garden pictures

I should be finished with the rings quilt tomorrow

ring border 5-11-13 002

14 thoughts on “Dogwood Blossom Quilt Top

1. Kathi says:

So love seeing what you are working on inside and out… love your blog 🙂 Thanks for keeping me moving with my own quilting by staying busy and taking time to blog yourself 🙂 Kathi

That’s an interesting pattern. It almost has a double wedding ring look in parts of it. I’m sure you’ll fix that one up in no time!
    Nice garden, 100 degrees out here today, no flower buds out yet, leaves on trees just starting, way behind in the spring issues here!

3. Sharon Eshlaman says:

I really like your new “dogwood” project. You actually should be called the “Quilt Doctor” as you take these poorly made, but made with love, I’m sure, quilts and work your magic. I hope my next question isn’t too personal….. Is there someone in your life who will be receiving these awesome, historical, beautiful, one-of-a-kind quilts when you pass? I’m 60 so I probably think about that more than yourself. Everytime I make a quilt I wonder which of my children will choose it and will they appreciate all the love that went into it. The person or persons who end up with your quilts will have some very important things of history. I can only imagine what your collection may be worth both money and history wise. You just keep amazing me! And of course – Hi to Teddy!

I have thought about what will happen to my quilts….I am thinking that they will be donated…I would like them to stay together as a complete group to show a body of work over time…but I expect to have many more to add before that happens….I also plan a book at some point of all the quilts I have made…..maybe when get to 100 of them 😉

4. audrey says:

Your rings quilt is looking fabulous! Looking forward to seeing what you do with the lovely Dogwood Blossom.:)

5. njquilter24 says:

oh this is such an interesting block, hmmm would make an interesting quilt thats for sure! can’t wait to see how you quilt it.
    I am loving watching the progress on the circles, now that quilt I would love to make myself!
    LOVE how your quilting it.
    Kathie

6. Laura in IA says:

I was surprised to see the 1958 date on the quilt block pattern. I am not convinced at all that there was “no” quilting going on in the 50s and 60s. I just don’t think we have records of that era like we do since the 70s revival. Most of the state documentations had a 30s cut off so the record is not provided there. I have started having conversation with my older quilt friends about what they remember of quilting after World War II. Of course most of them were raising families, but I was asking about their mothers and grandmothers. One remembered her grandmother going regularly to quilt at the church. So if church ladies were quilting someone was doing the piecing.

Anyway, as to your newest top, I love the pattern and trust it will be even more stunning when you have time to work with it.

The Kansas City Star keep on putting out patters….not sure as many people were quilting, but there were still some that kept up with is….I have a few quilt tops from the 50’s….but I think this one is extra neat because of the colors

7. Linda Perry says:

I have quilts my Grand and Greatgrandmothers made and they are’nt “perfect” but we have to realize they probably didn’t have electricity,running water, their templates were some old piece of cardboard that changed as it was traced around,etc .The fancy quilts in museums were the few very special ones that were never used except maybe on a wedding night and then put away as too good to use. I’m glad you’re rescuing,restoring and treasuring these others for what they are.

Comments

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )