Rings Quilt Finished

I started this quilt last summer and got back to it this year.  I finished the top on April 22 (see that post here)

I started quilting it on May 5 (see that post here) and I did a short video of the quilting (see that here)

I use about 400 yards of thread on this quilt,   and the quilting took about 10 days (between a few other projects).

I decided to piece the binding with black and white fabric to match the inner border.    The fabric was sewed together in strips

strip set 001

then cut at 2 1/2 ” and joined together.  I cut it 2 1/2″ wide and folded it in half….then machine sewed it to the front, folded it to the back and hand stitched it to the backing.

finished Ring Quilt 5-15-13 003

I used muslin for the backing

finished Ring Quilt 5-15-13 011

The “puffiness” comes from the poly batting.  I felt that if it had been finished back in the year that it was started the original maker would have used poly.

Here are more pictures (click to enlarge)

It was dark when I took the pictures but It just came out of the dryer and I couldn’t wait until morning to take pictures.

Now back to work on the whole cloth quilt.

65 thoughts on “Rings Quilt Finished

1. Cathi says:

It looks fabulous! What a great idea for the binding!

Cathi

2. Kathi says:

I love that you did this quilting free hand… that astounds me that you can have such a steady hand… love how you did the half circles on the outer border too… the stripes rock! You did this quilt justice in short order once you got going and it looks fabulous… Thanks for inspiring so much! Kathi

Another winner! When is the auction for it?

Masterful and very cool striped sashing and binding, Tim.

5. Gerrie says:

I love how your quilting always enhances the quilt that much more. I especially like in this one your use of the stripes to bring it all together with the old blocks and unify everything.

6. Sharon Eshlaman says:

Beautiful!

7. karen says:

sure do quilt fast! I never get anything done that fast 🙂

8. nancy says:

Great job, Tim! It’s amazing how you turn out one beautiful quilt after another. I look forward to your emails each day,

Nancy

9. Nancy says:

What a fun quilt, Tim. I am way impressed with how you lined up the black & white binding with the inner black and white border. Meticulous! And I love the poly batting for this quilt. Sometimes poly is just perfect.

10. Janet says:

It looks incredible!! I’m astounded at how fast you got the quilting finished!! The binding makes for a fabulous finish.

11. Sharon Snow says:

WOW! I wish that I could quilt that fast.. It looks great.

12. njquilter24 says:

I really love this quilt, I love the inner border, great choice to do that.
    wow…its a quilt that would make me smile everyday.
    congrats on another great finish and saving another quilt for generations to come to enjoy
    Kathie

13. Fabulous Tim! I just love it!!

14. Babara says:

This is incredible. I love the bold colors and your big stitch quilting. Just beautiful.

15. Valerie says:

Stunning quilt! I see rings in my future . . .

16. Tica says:

It’s beautiful!

17. Sharon says:

this is really beautiful. We are so lucky to have you come to CAMEO quilt guild next year as a speaker. I have some Dresden blocks that were sewn by a great aunt on a sheet. I hope you can give me some ideas on what to do with them when you come. Your quilting is fantastic.

Thanks….I look so forward to being there…..wonderful to have blocks that are from the family!….I know that they can be made into something great!…..I will have some ideas for you when I an there!

18. I love it–the stripe binding is the perfect ending!

19. audrey says:

Great binding choice! I really love this quilt and the stitching is just perfect. Super finish.

20. Ann says:

What a beautiful quilt! The binding really sets it off. Perfeccgt choice.

21. Liz says:

Wowser! Beautiful!!!!

22. Sue says:

What a beautiful quilt, Tim! And as always your quilting is magnificent!

23. julierose says:

I just love this single ring quilt…I’ve always admired (from afar) the double wedding ring. I have never even thought of attempting it–too difficult, I thought. This single ring is so bold and graphic–just wonderful Thanks for sharing your methods Julierose

24. Pat says:

What a great graphic quilt. I love the bold colors and the striped binding finishes it off perfectly.

25. averyclaire says:

What lovely hand quilting on your entire blog! You do magnificent work! Love your trapunto video. Where do you find bulky #5 yarn?

26. Kate says:

Bloody hell Tim! Do you SLEEP?
    I am constantly astonished at your output. (So sorry to everyone for my less than genteel mouth). Are your fingers crippled and bent? Do your fingers feel like sandpaper? If so, I feel the same as you, if not what’s your secret? I am quilting about 4-6 hours a day at the moment (plus work + housework) in an effort to meet a deadline and my hands are totally trashed,
    You are a machine!

27. rosa says:

Simply beautiful quilting and quilt!!

Rosa from Spain

28. Rose Marie says:

Another gorgeous Tim quilt! Yes, you are a machine; but we can tell that this is a passion and the results show so very well.

29. I am working on a busy quilt and might just do the big stitching on it. Thanks for the video. Love the quilts and flowers!!

30. Love, love, love this red and scrappy quilt!! I had already checked your blog out earlier in the week. I couldn’t wait. :))

31. Ann-Mari says:

This quilt is so fun and sparkly. Love it.

Comments