I started this quilt last summer and got back to it this year. I finished the top on April 22 (see that post here)
I use about 400 yards of thread on this quilt, and the quilting took about 10 days (between a few other projects).
I decided to piece the binding with black and white fabric to match the inner border. The fabric was sewed together in strips
then cut at 2 1/2 ” and joined together. I cut it 2 1/2″ wide and folded it in half….then machine sewed it to the front, folded it to the back and hand stitched it to the backing.
I used muslin for the backing
The “puffiness” comes from the poly batting. I felt that if it had been finished back in the year that it was started the original maker would have used poly.
Here are more pictures (click to enlarge)
It was dark when I took the pictures but It just came out of the dryer and I couldn’t wait until morning to take pictures.
Now back to work on the whole cloth quilt.