Machine Piecing Again…..but the end is in sight

I finished up the 12 blocks for the suspension bridge quilt (  https://timquilts.com/2013/04/29/suspension-bridge-variation/ ) and got it all set together….I need to make 14 more sashing sections and get those on and I will be done.

Here is my sashing production center.  Read more about that here (https://timquilts.com/2013/05/02/half-square-triangle-units-fast-and-easy/)suspension bridge 5-28-13 001

when I get the sashing added to the outside edges the top will finish at 79″ x 102″.  here are some pictures  (It needs to be pressed)

suspension bridge 5-28-13 002 suspension bridge 5-28-13 003 suspension bridge 5-28-13 004 suspension bridge 5-28-13 005 suspension bridge 5-28-13 006 suspension bridge 5-28-13 007 suspension bridge 5-28-13 008 suspension bridge 5-28-13 009 suspension bridge 5-28-13 010

22 thoughts on “Machine Piecing Again…..but the end is in sight

1. Maybe this one and your other NYB/Fans should come to France. 🙂

Ahhh…….the end is near, a good feeling to another wonderful quilt!

3. Susie says:

Tim, Your creativity is wonderful and I am enjoying the view from the sidelines immensely! Each new project brings something fresh to the table! You are so fortunate to be able to turn projects out in fairly quick order. I have so many ideas I want to try, however, I seem to work so slowly and need to finish the current project first.
    I hope you can send a couple of quilts on a French vacation!

Thanks Susie!…..I have so many ideas that I just have to work fast……and it still never seems fast enough…..but I do have a great deal of fun sharing all my projects….glad that you enjoy seeing them 🙂

4. Hilda says:

Beautiful! Your colour choices are so dynamic! I love your sashing construction method – very economical in time I imagine. And wonderful to see someone else using the trouser hangers to make a temporary quilt hanging – I do the same over the front of wardrobes in the house. Easy enough to remove when someone wants to get into the wardrobe 🙂

they do make the perfect hanger for a quilt….and I really need to see the quilt hanging to get an idea of what it really looks like.
      The fabrics for the blocks all came from 2 collections of fat quarters that I bought at a quilt show…..One bundle of solids and one of prints….I matched a solid with a print for each block….and the fabrics for the sashing were all from my supply of fabrics that were just waiting for some project.

5. Kathi says:

Love the progress you are making on this quilt top! good to piece some and quilt a lot I say 🙂 Kathi

6. Janine Huisjen says:

I really like the pastel palette– and the way you did the saw teeth; they add so much motion to the design. I can’t wait to see how you quilt this one.

7. Kathleen Campbell says:

Tim, I am looking on the ‘QUILTING BOARD’ (on line) and saw a quilt similar to this one.
    Rosa Fowler (roseyhf is her screen name,) (Facebook/ rosita.fowler) is the woman working on it. Rosa is also drafting her own patterns, From her post I wound-up on GOOGLE at clamshell pickle dish. WOW. What a show. Just an FYI in case you wanted to look at more of this type of quilt-also from the Civil War era. Love your posts and read them all. Your gardens are beautiful. And, of course, I love Teddy!

Bummer….that is rather disheartening….I thought I was being original in adapting an old design….but I guess I cant be the only one who is inspired by antiques…and this style of quilt…
      It is always my goal to make quilts that are unlike anything currently being made ….so I don’t read the magazines and see whats being made for fear that I would subconsciously copy, but I do look at lots and lots of antiques and draw inspiration from those.
      the best source is the quilt index http://www.quiltindex.org/
      Teddy is outing today because he got caught in the rain on his walk 😦 but its good for the garden 🙂

• Kathleen Campbell says:

Dear, Dear Tim, I must admit that I am not very original and that is one reason to view your quilts.
        Love the Index and will get to University of Nebraska one day. I search for State Quilt Documentation books all the time so I am on the ‘net …a lot.

My good quilting friend Beth works at the MSU museum (one of the quilt index partners) and it is literally minutes away from my house…..and I have never visited 😦 on my to do list

8. Tim – wonderful look, but may I suggest putting that same pink sashing as an outside border all around so the quilt doesnt end at the side of the block? This would make it wider than a double bed, would probably work on a queen, I’m thinking use for posterity, and if it enters the resale market. And, please sign and date it, with your town

there will be additional sashing all around the edges…same as what I have between the blocks……do you mean add an additional sashing around that?

Comments

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )