Double Wedding Ring UFO Gift

A few days ago I got a wonderful gift from my quilting friend from California, Marie Watterlond.  Marie was given a box full of Double Wedding Ring pieces and they were made by Marie Louise Winter Krause of Azusa CA.  Based on the fabrics I think this was some time in the 30’s.  Marie  decided that she probably would not have the time to finish them but really wanted to be sure that they would be finished by hand…so she sent them to me….Thanks!!

I wont be finishing them tomorrow but I will finish them!!

Here are the parts

doudle wedding ring parts 001 doudle wedding ring parts 002 doudle wedding ring parts 003 doudle wedding ring parts 004

And the fabrics

doudle wedding ring parts 013 doudle wedding ring parts 014 doudle wedding ring parts 015 doudle wedding ring parts 017

And the pattern

doudle wedding ring parts 008

It is interesting to me to see how patterns are passed around.  I suspect that this quilter did not have the instructions to go with the pieces….I think someone traced out the patten and passed it along to her.  I say that because in order for these pattern pieces to fit together correctly they should be placed like this.

doudle wedding ring parts 009

But she did it like this

doudle wedding ring parts 010

you can see that when they come together in this orientation they don’t fit

doudle wedding ring parts 011

see the gaps…if They are sewn together they will not lay flat.  there are 4 of the end pieces placed together in the correct orientation

doudle wedding ring parts 012

I will have to do some re working on the completed rings, but it will be well worth it!  I love the fabrics and I love to finish up these kinds of projects!!  the great thing about a double wedding ring quilt for me is all the room in the design for quilting.

Here is one I finished years ago…and you can see that I love lots of quilting!

2010_07187-18-10-weddingring0018

When I get to work on this one I will trace out a pattern from the originals and post it here….these pieces use a different pattern than the one above so the overall look is a bit different and the rings are rounder.

Teddy it thinking about them….

doudle wedding ring parts 007

I think he approves….and he says Thanks Marie!

24 thoughts on “Double Wedding Ring UFO Gift

1. Kathi says:

I love how everyone knows you love and appreciate older quilts and can “do them justice” just by having them as a project to get to some day! And you have already decided where to start on that project… more to ponder while you quilt! Thanks for sharing 🙂 Kathi

Thanks Kathi…I have been thinking about them for several days….I need to get some of the started ones finished up …but this will be a project hopefully sooner than later

2. Victoria says:

BIG!! smile 🙂 every time I see a post from Timquilts. Thank you for keeping alive good old- fashion joys of quilt making

3. I think you’re exactly right on the layout of the pieces–that’s where the problem lies. I’m so happy that you will be tackling this puzzle! Meantime, I’ll be working on another DWR that’s been languishing in my own UFO pile!

4. Heidi Selig says:

I also love that Teddy is so involved in the work,2 heads are better than 1 and everyone no matter how furry needs a hobby.

he sure does seem to take a real interest in whatever I do….and hes so agreeable….when ever I ask him if he like my ideas he always says yes

5. It is amazing how many unfinished quilts there are out there. I have very strict rules to finish before starting a new one! This is the first time in my life I have fabric for 2 quilts waiting to be made. Rules are meant to be broken. You are an inspiration. I am always amazed at how many quilts you finish.
    PS Love your garden photos.

I’m sure you will do that one justice! can’t wait to see it completed!

7. Sharon Eshlaman says:

Teddy has extremely good taste! Those pieces are fantastic. A double wedding ring is on my bucket list! I can’t wait to see what you do with this project. I know it will be amazing. Thanks for sharing.

Sharon I hope you do make one….once I got past the story that everyone tells….that they are really hard…I found that they are really fun to make………if they were as hard as people say the wouldnt have become the most popular pattern in the 30’s and 40’s

8. Kathleen Campbell says:

Sweet! and Thanks for the inspiration.

9. Pam Gardner says:

I love reading all your posts whether it be about Teddy (what a doll), quilts or gardening. I noticed the other day you mentioned something about lilacs just starting-where do you live? Ours are done

I live in Lansing MI…and many of the lilacs here are done blooming as well but I have on that is a late blooming variety that I selected specifically for that reason….It feels like the spring is extended…its in full bloom today and the whole yard is filled with the fragrance

10. How special is that?! Have fun!

11. Nisa Smith says:

oh my word! i have two tops just like this. the only difference is the ovals and inside of the rings, one is purple and one is green. I started two tops with scraps. going thru all of my fabric and cutting out small snippets here and there, and putting it all together by hand. neither is finished because I had some customer orders come up. but this sure does a good job of reminding me that mine is still sitting there.

12. Carey Noland says:

Hi Tim, I just thought I would share with you Marie Krause was my great-grandmother (most people knew her as Belle) When my mother first told me about these pieces, I was surprised. Belle was not a quilter. She was a knitter and owned a yarn shop in Azusa. I can’t wait to see when you finish this. Thank you, Carey Noland , Palm Desert Ca.

Comments