Quilting on the Edge

I was recently asked about how I handle the edges of the quilt when Hand quilting in a hoop.  The question being how do you keep it in the hoop when the hoop is round and the edge of the quilt is not.  I posted about how I layered and basted this quilt for hand quilting here ( https://timquilts.com/2013/05/29/vintage-fan-block-quilt/) and in that post I said that I try to make the batting and backing larger than the top.  The idea is that the extra fabric and batting will hold the quilt in the hoop around the edges like this

Quilting the edge 6-4-13 003

sometimes that is not enough because right there in the front the only part in the hoop is the backing fabric and since it is so thin compared with the rest it can slip quilt easily.  When that happens I use some safety pins and take the backing fabric up to the top and pin it down around the edge of the hoop like this.

Quilting the edge 6-4-13 001

(Teddy is peaking around the edge…hes ready for his picture)

if the backing is long enough it is not a problem to pin it like this

Quilting the edge 6-4-13 002

If the backing fabric is not long enough I pin on an additional piece of fabric …a small terry cloth towel works great for that because if has some thickness and doesn’t slip through the hoop easily.

I start in the center of the quilt and do one block at a time.  since this quilt has 9 blocks and I finished the one in the center seen here

6-2-13 021

I am now working on a block that it next to the edge and here is what it looks like so far

Quilting the edge 6-4-13 004 Quilting the edge 6-4-13 005 Quilting the edge 6-4-13 006 Quilting the edge 6-4-13 007

and since I think it is always fun to see the back as well here are a few pictures of that

Quilting the edge 6-4-13 008 Quilting the edge 6-4-13 009

And Teddy was sitting and posing all while I was taking pictures so here he is

Quilting the edge 6-4-13 012

28 thoughts on “Quilting on the Edge

1. Claudette Booker says:

If the extra piece of fabric still slips, I use black binder clips to hold it in place under the hoop. I also have an “edge hoop” that is straight on one side and you pin your quilt edge to cotton webbing that is stapled to the flat edge. Happy quilting!

I pin the extra fabric around the hoop I always have safety pins handy so its a lot easier….I have seen the edge hoops but I prefer to use my large stand hoop …especially in the summer…keeps the quilt off of my lap

2. Rita Larson says:

Teddy you are looking very handsome today.
    The quilt is looking good too. 😉

3. Victoria says:

Mercy!! I love your quilting!!!! Thanks for another wonderful educational post! And thanks for showing the back!! I’m going to try safety pin basting for my next quilt.

4. patricia sherman says:

I just started a job demonstrating hand quilting. I have done some quilting by hand, but never a whole quilt. Your blogs have helped me so much and was thrilled to see you using a hoop to do a whole quilt. thank you, pat

5. Thanks for sharing that info with us. Your quilt is looking really good. I’m sure Teddy is looking even more handsome than usual today.

6. Mary Britton says:

I am amazed at how fast you quilt! Beautiful quilting also. I have the half hoop and always use it, but your system might work better. Thanks for all the great info. Give Teddy an extra pat on the head for being such a good boy!

7. audrey says:

That is wonderful! Your quilting is adding so much wonderful texture. It always changes the look of the quilt dramatically. Great job!

That quilt is looking good! I like the backing choice of fabric also! Should be done by Friday, right? More projects waiting in line!
    Teddy is looking good, too!

9. Suzanne says:

It is really lovely Tim. It will make me think twice now when I see an orphan pile of quilt blocks. You have really made this into such and interesting quilt and the quilting is perfect. Thanks for the edge tips too. I will try them out. I’ve always just struggled with the quilt out off the hoop when doing edges that slip out.

10. Helen says:

Tim that dog is A-dorable. He hit the lottery on the day you adopted him! I use the half hoop for the edges and machine baste extra fabric to the top edge of the quilt, leave a generous amount of backing and batting and it all is held nice and taut for the quilting to be done. Love to see these old beauties come to life. Thanks for sharing.

11. Michelle says:

Thank you for this “edge” lesson! I always hate doing the edges because the fabric slips out of the hoop. Now, thanks to you, I’ve got some ideas to try on my next quilt. Your fan quilt is looking amazing, by the way. Love the art deco look of the quilting design! 🙂

12. quiltsalott says:

Great information Tim, I tend to grab a tea towel as well when the back isn’t quite big enough. Your quilt is looking so wonderful, I love that you’ve done it by eye too. I’ve got to try that.

13. quiltsalott says:

I forgot to say how much I love seeing Teddy!

14. What a great quilt you used for Teddy’s photo shoot! LOL