2 more vintage quilt tops

This week I got a few more vintage quilt tops. The first one is made of corduroy .  I imagine it was made in the 70’s.  There are some signs that they materials were recycled, perhaps from clothing.  This is a very colorful top and I look forward to quilting it.   Since it is a very thick fabric, I think this is another candidate for big stitch quilting. (see more about that here: https://timquilts.com/2013/05/05/more-on-big-stitch-quilting-and-a-video/)

here are some more photos …click to enlarge

Here it another vintage top.  I love the simplicity of it, as well as the colors.  This one is much thinner fabric so I think I will do much more quilting.

new tops 7-13-13 015

15 thoughts on “2 more vintage quilt tops

1. Mary Britton says:

Hey Tim,
    I just watched a You-Tube video (I think it was Jenny Doan) on how to make a quilt top in an hour. She used a jelly roll and called it the Jelly Roll Race. I had bunch of scraps already cut and I have made two tops for charity quilts in the last two days. Looks just like yours! Of course it took me more than an hour since my strips were shorter than those in a jelly roll and I had many more seams to contend with. But it was fast and easy and I had been looking for something to use up my scrap strips for charity quilts. I try to do 5-8 tops a month. Our church ladies put them together and tie them.

2. Michelle says:

Both are great finds! Have you ever quilted corduroy before? I wonder how difficult it will be. It’ll be a great winter quilt. Can’t wait to see you work your magic with them! 🙂

3. Karin Peirce says:

I love the simpler one, I’m sure it will be a killer when you are done with it. Corduroy weighs so much, of course it will be a lovely winter lead blanket …

It will be heavy….sometimes that is just what I need…cold winters here….the other one will be for spring or fall….think I will use a thin cotton for batting

Boy, that Ebay just keeps sending them to you like magic! 🙂

5. LeeAnn says:

Both are wonderful! Congratulations.

6. Kim says:

I love the graphic ness of these vintage quilts you are finding. Can’t wait to see what you do with the corduroy one.

7. audrey says:

Both of them are bold and strong quilts. Very rich colors too! I think the simplicity of the designs will allow you so much freedom for hand quilting and definitely perle cotton for the one. Can’t wait to see your handiwork once again!

8. Kathleen says:

What type of batting do you use? Your work is wonderfully.

Comments