Time to think about Christmas?

Last year I made a Christmas quilt with a vintage tablecloth.

2012_013012-1-120012 2012_013012-1-120007

It might seem early to be thinking about what to make this year but I found another vintage Christmas tablecloth and I couldn’t pass it up.

7-30-13 007

I will need  to find some gold fabric for a border, and I think gold thread for the quilting.    I think I will do a grid pattern in the majority of the quilt, and quilt around the trees and swags.

7-30-13 009 7-30-13 008

Teddy tested it out and he approves. (he looks good with red)

7-30-13 010

It will be a while before I get started on it but I am glad I got the tablecloth when I saw it…I think it will make a great quilt.

I got a bit more work done on the suspension bridge quilt.   I did a bit of the quilting in the sashing and the cornerstones.  In keeping with the plan for the rest of the quilting I am not doing anything fussy….just doing a free hand design.  I did a vine in the sashing and a flower in the cornerstone….just freeform quilting….(click pictures to enlarge)

7-30-13 001 7-30-13 002 7-30-13 003 7-30-13 004 7-30-13 005 7-30-13 006

27 thoughts on “Time to think about Christmas?

1. Cathi says:

That Christmas tablecloth is going to make a fabulous quilt – and Teddy definitely looks good on red!

Go for the Gold!

3. Laura Gottlieb says:

Lovely quilting on the sashing of your Bridge quilt, Tim! Always love to see Teddy…He looks good on ANY quilt!

4. Kitty Hettinger, Holt, MI says:

What a nifty idea! I never thought about using a vintage tablecloth. I love the results. Love the quilting on the Bridge quilt. You should think about teaching hand quilting – you make it look so easy.

Thanks Kitty…..it becomes easy with a lot of practice!
      I like the tablecloth Idea because it is virtually a finished quilt top, and just needs some quilting….and they can be found for little money

5. Teri Powers says:

Love the Christmas quilt. I never thought of using a Christmas table cloth. I need to see if I have one from my mom or mother-in-law. Also your hand quilting is beautiful.

6. Lu says:

I have a vintage Christmas table cloth I bought because it reminded me of one my mother had. However, it is too small for my table. After seeing you’re post I think I’ll quilt it! THANK YOU for the wonderful idea.

7. Karin Peirce says:

A tablecloth for a Christmas quilt is brilliant, and I must say the new one you snagged looks pretty great. Hmmm, could that be because Teddy is sitting on it? He looks extra sharp on red…

8. Francie says:

HI Tim…Teddy Pup is always handsome. And all of your quilts are gorgeous (even if I don’t comment on everyone). 😀 Now…If you plan on quilting the red tablecloth with “metallic” thread hesitate for a bit, I tried that TWICE and I found it an exercise in futility. I tried two different brands and had the same results. It was like trying to quilt with a rope that frayed quickly and broke. What I ended up using was a gold looking (a bit on the yellow/gold side) cotton thread…it turned out perfect. Hope this helps a bit…eager to hear and see the results. Good luck Tim.

I have not planned for sure what to use, it will mostly depend on the fabric I find for the border…..but I will write all about when I get started….I need a very thick thread to do big stitches….the fabric on these vintage table cloths is not right for small stitching so I likely will use perle cotton

9. Sharon in Michigan says:

Quilting a table cloth is a great idea. The suspension bridge is really striking. Teddy adds a final touch – he’s such a doll! Wish I could just hug him!

10. Sue Matlock says:

I love the suspension bridge quilt. So much time to piece that quilt and it wasn’t even quilted…I must get busy. Teddy looks good in anything and I loved the tablecloth idea last Christmas and love this tablecloth even more. Great idea.

It did take a long time to piece….but that might be because It is my least favorite part of the process…but the quilting will be fun!….I also like this table cloth better than the one last year….looking forward to quilting it

11. Marilee Botos says:

Ooo, a gold star in the middle with close, radiating lines out until you get to the trees! Love the vine and leaves on the Bridge quilt.

12. Teddy does look spectacular against the red! Last year’s quilt is beautiful and I know this year’s will be as well. You are very talented and turn out beautiful quilts in your piecing and stitching. I am convinced you must never sleep!

13. […] in July I posted about a vintage Table cloth that will be made into a Christmas Quilt. (https://timquilts.com/2013/07/30/time-to-think-about-christmas-2/)  I decided to start that […]

14. irene vernon says:

Brilliant idea Tim, quilting a Tablecloth. How it enhances it. Far better to use it as a throw. thanks for sharing.

Comments

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )