Corduroy Quilt Finished

After a few days of vacationing, I got back to work on quilting and finished up the Corduroy quilt.    I had a great time visiting Mackinac Island.  Here is the last picture I took.  Mackinac Bridge viewed from the parking area at the ferry dock.

corduroy quilt finish 002

After I got home I needed to get back to quilting, I spent most of the day on Monday finishing up the hand quilting.  Here it is all quilted waiting to be bound.

corduroy quilt finish 003 corduroy quilt finish 004 corduroy quilt finish 005

Here is the back.

corduroy quilt finish 006 corduroy quilt finish 007

To bind this one I decided to use the backing fabric.  In order to do that I cut the backing fabric 2 inches wider than the top, and trimmed off  the batting the same size as the top.

corduroy quilt finish 008

I then  folded the 2 inch overhanging  backing fabric in half and pressed in a crease.

corduroy quilt finish 009

then folded that over to the front and pressed again …adding pins.

corduroy quilt finish 010

I machine stitched it down from the top.

corduroy quilt finish 011

I have done this by hand for some “fancier” quilts, but machine stitching seemed fine for this one.

Here it is after binding

corduroy quilt finish 012 corduroy quilt finish 013 corduroy quilt finish 014

Next into the washing machine, gentle cycle, cold water, and regular detergent (Tide) and then into the drier, medium heat.  And here is the finished product.  (click Pictures to enlarge)

Finished size is 68″ x 74″

Now back to work on one of the others

Happy quilting

20 thoughts on “Corduroy Quilt Finished

1. thirdpearl says:

that looks delightfully cozy. nice work, as always!

2. karen says:

turned out great! we all need a vacation now and then and sometimes that means putting the quilting aside for a couple days and remember there is more to life other than quilting – but we so enjoy it don’t we!

Now you are ready for snow!

4. Linda says:

Nice quilting and it sets off the quilt. I would assume Corduroy would be difficult to hand quilt. On my snowman quilt it has a thin bat but I still bend needels everytime I quilt. They are betweens #10. What do you recommend??
    Great vacation and garden pictures.

For this quilt I used a #5 embroidery needle and #8 perle cotton thread….and yes it is hard to quilt. For most quilts I use a #11 between….John James needle…..NOT a quilting needle or a gold or a big eye…a standard between….all the others bend, regular betweens dont bend

5. Prairie Quilter/Nebraska says:

This turned out absolutely wonderful.

6. audrey says:

Your circle quilting is perfect for this quilt! Congrats on a wonderful finish. This one will be well used no doubt.:)

7. Lisa Mikel says:

Your quilt turned out beautifully! Congratulations! I love it. It looks so soft and cozy. I bet Teddy loves this one.

8. LeeAnn says:

Your big stitch circles give this quilt so much more interest. I love corduroy quilts. But I had only thought of tying them. Beautiful result!

Hey, I like this. Nice.

10. nita says:

Found your site doing a search for big stitch quilting 🙂 thought I’d give it a try instead of the usual hand quilting I do. I like the circles you’ve used on this quilt. I’m always looking for ideas. Nice to meet you!

Nice to meet you too!…..I have been doing a lot of big stitching lately…It goes so fast and I really like the look….I will continue to use “regular” stitching on many quilts but it is nice to have variety….I am thinking of doing a quilt incorporating both soon

Comments

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )