Still Quilting

I have been very busy the last few days but I have done a bit of hand quilting.

I got back to work on the suspension bridge quilt and finished up one of the 12 blocks.

8-15-13 003

I think you can see the pin basting in the picture.   One thing that surprises people is how few pins I use.

8-15-13 002

I don’t find it necessary to pin more than this.  I just smooth out the area I am working on once it is in the hoop.  and I take out the pins in the hooped area.  If I work from the center out to the edges I wont get any puckers.

I like to take pictures of the quilting from the back because it shows up better.

8-15-13 004 8-15-13 005 8-15-13 006

It is a big quilt with a lot of quilting so this will take a while!

12 thoughts on “Still Quilting

1. Marie says:

Absolutely beautiful…….love the hand quilting. Marie

2. gardnerpam6 says:

I love this quilt! You are doing a great job on it.

3. audrey says:

I have been surprised at the small amount of basting pins needed to hand quilt. Makes it so much easier to get a quilt sandwiched and basted! Love how your quilting looks front and back. Wonderful added texture.

I have been using less and less basting pins with every quilt it seems. I first learned that I could do it with fewer when I was basting a quilt and ran out of pins….they were all in other quilts…so I just used a few and it worked fine

4. bjmonitas says:

another wonderfull piece of art! Kindest bjmonitas

5. Victoria says:

I notice you use muslim or light fabric for your backings. I think I may start doing that. After all with all that work you want to really see all that work on the back as well. Learning so much from you.

6. Sandra Guild says:

John putman shared your great news about winning at the quilt show! Congrats again!

Comments