Do I need more quilting stuff? yes I do!

I had to buy a few things at the AQS show in Grand Rapids.  It isn’t that I don’t have enough projects already…..I think it is that I can’t help myself.

Here is what I bought  ( I will post the vender information for these things when I use them in a project)

Thinking ahead to Christmas I got some gold thread.

aqs loot 2013 gr 006

I found some fabric that had to come home with me.

aqs loot gr 2013 007 aqs loot gr 2013 008

This all will become a quilt soon….the design is in my head and it might take a bit of thought to get it past that and into a real quilt.

I will post about it when I get there.

I got a fun pair of scissors

aqs loot gr 2013 009

one of the venders had antique blocks….I had to get these T blocks

aqs loot gr 2013 010

Visited my favorite people at Hobb’s and decided to give silk batting a try

aqs loot gr 2013 005

And this great Oak table/quilt chest/display box

aqs loot 2013 gr 002

I was able to fit 8 full-sized quilts in it

aqs loot gr 2013 001 aqs loot gr 2013 002

Teddy thought it would look better as a backdrop for a picture of him.

aqs loot gr 2013 004

I took a picture of a sign at the show

aqs loot 2013 gr 001

This is where my quilt was before it got moved to here

Tree of life GR 003

I wish I could have stayed there by the quilt all day because I got to meet several friends from computer land!….It was such a pleasure to meet you all!!

27 thoughts on “Do I need more quilting stuff? yes I do!

1. Teri Powers says:

Wonderful finds! Can’t wait to see how you use them. I think I have some of the fabric or something very similar . Are the t shirt blocks antique?

yes they are antique…from about 1890, the block is called T-Quartet

• Teri Powers says:

I have not seen that block before. Is it from a specific region or state?

the Ladies Art Company published this block it is block #86 so it was published in 1895
        Ladies Art Company. Founded in St. Louis by H.M. Brockstedt, it is credited as the first mail-order quilt pattern company. Exactly when they published their first catalog, Diagrams of Quilt, Sofa, and Pin Cushion Patterns, has not been determined, but an 1895 ad mentions 272 patterns. The 1906 edition included 450 designs. A second catalog, Quilt Patterns: Patchwork and Applique, was published in 1922 and revised again between 1928 and 1934 with patterns through 531. This last catalog was published until the company went out of business in the 1970s. Cuesta Benberry and Wilene Smith note that the number of the pattern can be used to date them. Applique designs from the 1920s were usually numbered in four digits. Following is an index of dates and numbers drawn from Wilene Smith’s research, published as “Quilt History in Old Periodicals: A New Interpretation,” Uncoverings 1990, Laurel Horton (ed.), The American Quilt Study Group, San Francisco, CA, 1991.
        LAC Pattern No Date Published
        1 – 272 in print 1895
        273 – 400 1897
        401 – 420 1901
        421 – 450 1906
        451 – 500 1922
        501 – 509 1928
        511 – 531 1928-1934
        It was also Published in 1885 (aprox) by Hearth and Home (from Maine) with the pattern Name Tete a tete
        Not sure where these blocks came from originally

2. karen says:

love that oak table! good luck with that thread I have not had luck with it.

I know that the thread is going to be tough, but I had to try it…..one of the 2 is just 12 weight cotton so I know that will work if the metallic drives me crazy…..
      the table is great…..the vender is from Texas….I will post info about him soon…I need to dig through the bags of papers etc to find it

• Teri Powers says:

I think he in New Braunfels. I have been in his shop before and he is always at the international quilt festival in Houston

Wonderful finds! But you will need several more of those quilt display chests, you know…..:)

4. Janet says:

I hope you like the silk batting. I like that it needles like wool but with low loft like cotton. I can’t wait to see the quilts develop from the fabric and those blocks.

Ooooooh, I LOVE those Ts (I would, wouldn’t I)!! Those are super gorgeous. And I see you are workin’ it on the quilt floor with the vendors more than usual. Of course you need that stuff — you deserve it.

6. sewfrench says:

It was a pleasure finally getting to meet you, in real life, Tim and your quilt deserved all the kudos it received and more.
    You inspired me to pick up some other quilting thread in something besides white and off white!
    That looks like the bundle of hand dyes I put back so you could get them? LOL! I chose way too much other fabric from her booth though! Saw those antique blocks, too, but I was too tired to think straight by then. And the selection of feedsack fabrics? Wow!
    Too much fun for one day…

How funny because I was in that hand dyed booth for like a half hour picking that bundle up and putting it down, trying to talk myself out of it….I could have bought all the fabric in that booth! Hope you enjoy all your purchases! and it was great to meet you finally!

7. Annette Johnston says:

You so deserve the ribbon, Tim. Congratulations!

8. gardnerpam6 says:

Congrats again on your beautiful blue ribbon! That quilt box is totally wonderful! I need one!

9. Valerie says:

Of course you do! Fortunately we get to enjoy the lovelies you create with these things so I’m a little bit biased. 😉

10. Sharon says:

Your quilt was even more beautiful seeing it in person. I can’t wait until you come to CAMEO guild next spring. This was my first time at AQS and it was awesome.

11. Salley says:

I popped over for a Teddy “fix”…and wow!
    Nice update…congratulations on the ribbon, well deserved. Love to see those T blocks come alive with your magic.

12. Megan F says:

Enjoy the Hobbs Tuscany silk batting! I tried it on a quilt last year and enjoyed working with it. It’s funny, though, that Dierdre McElroy rates it fairly low in her book (6 of 10); I wish I could try the “Touch of Silk” that she likes best (next to 100% silk, which seems to be unobtainable) but it seems to have been discontinued.

I haven’t commented before, but I love your blog and check in regularly to see what you’re up to. Thanks for sharing with us all!

Thanks for checking in Megan.!!
      One thing that I know for sure about batting, I have to try it myself, every quilter has a different expectation and feeling for different battings….same with thread, and needles, etc….For example many people have commented that they can’t use Warm and natural batting because it is impossible to quilt, I love it, and many people love quilters Dream cotton request….I hate it…so I never trust a review….I just try it and see for myself. My initial impression is that I wont like it much because it is so very thin, but I am reserving judgement and will write about when I get going.

Comments