Back to work

I am back to reality after the AQS show.  I decided to get back to work on the whole cloth quilt that  started in November…..I want to finish this soon because there is an October 8 deadline to enter the AQS phoenix show.   I honestly donet know if I will be able to finish it that fast, but it is nice to have a goal.

sateen top 014

Meanwhile I got a new quilt top last week that I just love!…It is made with polished cotton and is all hand pieced.  Lots of opportunity on this one for some fancy hand quilting!!  (click pictures to enlarge)

Until I finish the whole cloth this will have to be added to the pile

sateen top 012

Teddy seems to be enjoying the corduroy quilt

sateen top 008 sateen top 009

OK back to quilting

10 thoughts on “Back to work

1. Kathi says:

So glad you are working on the whole cloth again! Now that I catch every post you blog I will be sure to watch. I have my first wholecloth pinned and ready to quilt but chicken to start on it! lol Keep on showing pics … I love that you “base quilt” before you fine quilt… keeps it from getting lumpy I think! Any other wholecloth tips??? lol Kathi

I can understand being chicken to start….took me a few years to get going on this one…I had been thinking about doing for ever and then I finally decided to go for it after doing a few smaller whole cloth pieces. I think the only tips I have are what you already mentioned. do the basic quilting first and then go back and add more. and the other tip is to be patient and take it slow….in a whole cloth its all about the stitching…no where to hide ….if you use thread that matches the fabric the stitches will look better I feel that a contrasting thread is more difficult, but can be very pretty. Good lock with your project and enjoy it!!! I will post more pictures as I go

Your whole cloth quilt is just another ribbon winner in the making!
    That’s quite a pile of quilts waiting in line, but put that polished cotton one on top, it will be stunning!

3. Carla says:

I was going to ask when you planned on inishing it? I can’t wait for it to win, it is just simply so gorgeous! Your new quilt top is going to be stunning when quilted, it is so hard to find polished cotton today!

4. Annette Johnston says:

So lovely, Tim. I’m very interested in how you progress with your wholecloth; where you add more quilting and how it enhances the basic pattern. I hadn’t thought to do that. Definitely learning a lot from you, so thank you. Teddy does look like he loves that corduroy quilt…maybe a good tip for those who make quilts for animal shelters! Keep on stitchin’

I think that animal shelters might be happy to have a corduroy quilt…of all the quilts I have made this one seems to be his favorite…I think it is the texture and feel that he likes…..
      Im making progress on the whole cloth, more pictures soon

5. Kim says:

Teddy has great taste. What’s not to love about corduroy?
    I agree with everyone else, your wholecloth quilt is a winner in the making and I just love your latest purchase. Yellow and white is one of my favourite colour combinations and I’m looking forward to seeing how you quilt it. Would cotton sateen work with the polished cotton?

Thanks Kim….i think Sateen would be a good backing for this, I also rarely see it for sale, But It might be just the thing…wither yellow or white would work. I think I want to do a lot of quilting, much like the whole cloth I am doing now…I think the sheen of the fabric will really make the quilting stand out!

Comments