Adding a hanging sleeve

I need to ship my quilt to AQS for arrival between Sept 9 and 13 so today I worked on adding a hanging sleeve.

AQS has great instructions about how to add a sleeve to fit the show requirements, but here is a summary of how I did it.

First cut a strip of fabric 8 1/2″ wide and the length of the top edge of the quilt ( I used the same fabric as the backing)

hanging sleeve 001

fold and press 1/4″ seam on the ends

hanging sleeve 002

Fold again 1/4 inch

hanging sleeve 003

sew

hanging sleeve 004

now fold in half lengthwise and press a crease

hanging sleeve 005

open it up and press one side to the center

hanging sleeve 006

then the other

hanging sleeve 007

now turn the right sides together and sew a 1/4″ seam end to end

hanging sleeve 008

now turn it right sides out

hanging sleeve 009

you can see that it is bigger on the top …this allows room for the bar that hangs the quilt and prevents it from distorting the quilt.

Now pin it to the back

hanging sleeve 010

and stitch it down (sorry this has to be done by hand)

hanging sleeve 012

ready to hang.  Now I need to pack it for shipping.

16 thoughts on “Adding a hanging sleeve

1. My sister had a quilt accepted, too, so now I’m super excited to see the modern challenge!

A couple days ago I looked at your personal info and see you are a florist. Does that play into your love of quilting, creating the last texture for the piece? I am not 3D oriented like that, so the quilting as a dimensional layer of design escapes me a little.

I hope to be able to make it to the show (about 8 hours drive) I would love to see your sisters quilt. so being a florist….yes I do need to have a sense of dimension (depth) in floral design, as well as rhythm, color harmony, focal point…all those things are helpful in quilting as well….and the more I do the more I realize that I am using those things, even if I am not consciously doing it

GOOD LUCK! Can’t wait to see it!

3. Teri Powers says:

Tanks for the info. Very easy to understand

4. Helen F says:

Hope you get another “Blue” ribbon Tim!!!!!

5. Jan cotton....kiwi jan says:

At least you are not asked to put a strip of Velcro (the hook side and we have to send the soft side as well…). on your hanging sleeve like we have to here in NZ …believe me it’s the hardest piece of sewing ever even by machine….by hand dreadful.
    Good luck with your entry

6. Sheri Ketarkus says:

Have u ever seen the triangles sewn into the corners (one in each so u can change the direction u hang any quilt) when you attach the binding. Saw it on the Alzheimer’s quilt initiative for a recommendation for a way to hang the quilts that are donated. Looked interesting. Thanks for your good directions. Sheri Ketarkus

Sent from my iPhone

7. Jessi says:

This is a fabulous quilt! I really look forward to seeing it in Des Moines.

The hanging sleeve was the hardest part of my quilt I’m sending to Des Moines. The ladies at my guild laughed at how long it took me to sew it. I am NOT a hand sewer!

Comments

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )