Binding with Piping

I am working on getting the binding on the whole cloth quilt.

whole cloth quilted 001

The first step is to hand stitch the piping to the quilt top.  This only goes through the top, no stitches into the batting or backing.

piped binding steps 002

I am stitching this on about 1/2 inch (eyeballing it) past the last row of stitching.

piped binding steps 001

After it is stitched on I trim the 3 layers, top, batting and backing, even with the outside edge of the piping.

piped binding steps 003

Next I turn under the raw edges of the piping and the backing and pin in place.  I want the edging to be full so I am bunching up the batting to fit inside but I could trim it shorter and it would be easier to pin.

piped binding steps 004

The backing now gets stitched to the piping

piped binding steps 005

And the front looks like this

piped binding steps 006 piped binding steps 007

in the pictures you can still see my pencil lines from marking the top….the entire thing will be washed when it is done and these will be gone.

Now I have many yards more to do!

16 thoughts on “Binding with Piping

1. Claudette Booker says:

You make it look so easy! BTW, what kind of pencil do you use and how do you wash your quilts to get the markings out?

Thanks!
      I use a cheep disposable .5mm #2 mechanical pencil…and I was my quilts with ordinary detergent (usually tide) and the marks come right out….but they are very light marks….if you press to hard and make them too dark it takes a bit of effort to get them out…a pretreatment like shout will do it

2. Carla says:

Looks great Tim! I would think that would be easier than binding those scallops, but I have tried it!

Thanks
      I have done binding scallops the normal way on a few quilts….and it is much easier than this…..much much much easier….but I like the way this looks so I am sticking with it

3. Nancy Kluth says:

Please remove from email list and stop sending emails. Thank you

________________________________

You are not on my list and I have spent the last 30 minutes looking at every name over and over again, I can not find you there…. at the end of the emails that you receive (scroll down to the very bottom) there is a link to unsubscribe

The piping is going to be the final attraction of the quilt, unbelievable! You’re almost there!

5. Francie says:

Tim…just Beautiful ….for me even more so than the “Tree” quilt (taking away nothing from that one)…:D. BTW I got to see that one in person in Lancaster.
    Well, clearly your Popeye fingers (from quilting corduroy) aren’t getting in the way. LOL

6. Connie says:

Always amazed by your work. It’s always exciting to see what the next project will be. I love how you are willing to think outside the box…..piping vs. binding, corduroy, finishing antique tops, whole cloth, etc. I always wonder what you will think of next.

7. Suzanne says:

Stunning finish!

8. Pat says:

Do you make your own binding? I’ve never seen a quilt done this way but I really like it. Of course, I am new to quilting. Had twin grandsons almost 2 years ago and started just in time to finish 2 baby quilts for their mom’s baby shower.

Comments