Vintage Wool Quilt Top

I got another treasure from eBay …A vintage wool quilt top.  The fabrics are all wool (with the exception of the yellow) and quite heavy.  The top needs pressing and I will need to trim a lot of threads from the back (the fabrics fray very easily) but that is all I will need to do to this to get it ready to quilt.

I will not be able to do very fine small hand quilting stitches on the heavy fabric.  I will do big stitches and keep it fairly simple.

The top is good-sized  79″ x 88″.  This one should go fast.  I Hope to do this before winter because it will be very warm!

Here are some more pictures (click to enlarge)

20 thoughts on “Vintage Wool Quilt Top

1. Teri Powers says:

Is it sewn by hand or machine? Any idea on year? Can’t wait to see how you quilt it

All sewn by machine….Im guessing 60’s 70’s or so based on the fabrics

• Teri Powers says:

I thought it looked machine but wanted to be sure. Thanks

I am trying to remember what my mother made out of a fabric very much like the black, white, red one…..I think she made herself something with a fabric like that and I remember her making french seams to keep it from fraying….anyway that would have been about 1970 or so…so thats how I am guessing a date on this…the fabrics remind me of some my mom used

2. Ann Hancock says:

Love this one. It looks warm already. I can imagine hunkering down wrapped in it, with a Michigan snowstorm sifting down outside, and sipping cocoa (with Teddy of course!)

3. That will be a fun one to do!!

4. Kathleen Campbell says:

Love your choice of this one. The quilter made such an excellent placement and sue of her/his fabric.

They just keep miraculously showing up on your doorstep don’t they! 🙂

6. Karin Peirce says:

What a fabulous quilt ! Wool quilts are just so nice…my grandfather was a tailor and I asked my mother if my grandmother ever made any quilts because I knew she did all sorts of loony Danish Hardanger stuff . My mother said she didn’t want any of them, they were ll made of oeft over suiting fabric and she said she and her sisters felt like they were being encrusted with lead blankets from the xray zone. They lived in minnesota so I know they needed the warmth. My grandmother died when i was very young so I never got an heirloom Lead Wool Quilt….I suspect this will be another dazzler…

7. bjmonitas says:

Amazing that such tops are available in ebay?! I never thought about that. Last but not least: Happy quilting 🙂 bjmonitas

8. bjmonitas says:

you are absolutely right, there are heeps available, but all are located in the US and I think its certainly a problem with the shipping etc. bjmonitas

9. Carole Y. says:

For the fraying, try to sew a zig-zag or even a straight stitch to keep the fabric threads from unravelling, on all your seams under the top.

Comments

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )