A few days ago I got the Giddap quilt top in the mail. If you recall the listing had this picture, and it didn’t look like Giddap at all.
The pattern from the Kansas City Star looked like this.
here is what he looked like hanging the right direction
I had every intention of leaving it the way it was, but I just had to fix him a little. He was looking a bit Picasso for my taste…so I moved a few of the blocks
He is still far from correctly pieced, but I am going to leave it as it is now. I will need to add some borders to make it full-sized.
Yesterday I got another vintage top. I plan to use it to make the borders for Giddap. The top looks pretty good from the front.
Sometimes I see a quilt top and the price is good and I can’t help buying it, even though I know it is too good to be true. In this case someone washed the top and putting a quilt top in the washing machine is always a mistake! Once they are quilted all the raw edges of the fabric are protected and will not fray. If a top is just too dirty to handle before quilting it should be gently soaked and air-dried to prevent this kind of fraying.
In addition to all the loose threads some of the seams have disintegrated so much that they are open.
They really can’t be sewed back together without making a huge pucker in the top because the seam would need to go 1/4 inch in from the edge of whatever is left of the fabric.
All that being said I think there is enough good parts left on this to make a decent border for Giddap, and I think it fit with the crazy scrappy look.
It will have to wait for another day, I need to get back to trapunto work!