Sometimes I get carried away

Yesterday I started playing with  Hobb’s Tuscany Silk batting.   I had not used it before, but I like to try all the different types available and see how I like them.   I can read reviews and hear all kinds of opinions but the only thing that can make my mind up is trying it myself. So far I like it, but can’t make a judgement until I finish a project and wash it.

I was going to do a simple little whole cloth quilt but sometimes I get carried away.

I have been having great fun with this.  Free hand feathers and lots of fill.  The entire quilt will be filled in like this.

(click pictures to enlarge)

I am doing the quilting with #8 perle cotton and a #5 embroidery needle.  Yesterday I was asked how the silk batting would be to quilt with a regular needle and thread.  I did a quick line of stitches with 40 weight thread and a #11 between needle

slik batt whole cloth 002

super easy to get small stitches….I got 12 per inch here without any real extra effort.

Now that I have gotten into this I realize I am going to need to buy some more red perle cotton thread!

26 thoughts on “Sometimes I get carried away

Your “carried away” projects are marvelous!

2. Prairie Quilter/Nebraska says:

There’s nothing quite like quilted feathers. The red perle cotton just makes it pop. The background fill really adds. I’ve not done that yet, so it fascinates me.

3. Janine Huisjen says:

I love how the stippling sets off the feathers!

4. Belarmina says:

esto es muy bonito ¡¡¡precioso!!!
    saludos

5. That sound you just heard was my jaw dropping on the floor!!! I love the effect of the stippling. You are so inspiring!
    Kerry

6. Kathi says:

tim… what to say but the truth… you are a quilting NINJA! Love watching your work… would love another quilting vid in the future when you are up to it… watching you work is wonderful! Kathi

7. Charlene says:

Tim – I am making my granddaughter a bedspread size quilt for her twin bed and, since she will hopefully learn to make her bed soon, I want it to be as light as possible and for looks Low Loft. Unfortunately, the pattern I chose was made up primarily with 4 inch squares which makes it heavy to begin with. Could you recommend from your knowledge base what batting I should use to make it as light weight as possible?

I dont know what to tell you , I always look for the heavy or thick batting so I dont have a lot of information on thin and light weight…I imagine Hobbs Thermore Batting: Ultra thin, non-bearding polyester quilt batting which is patented and the only batting like it in the world. Thermore was developed as a thin, drapable, migration free polyester batting and is considered the PREMIUM batting for clothing, miniatures, and any other project where a thin, nonbearding batting is desired. Thermore can be quilted up to 6-8″ apart and is wonderful for hand or machine quilting.

8. quiltsalott says:

I’m loving your feathers, are you doing any marking at all? If not, you’re a genius. You can never have too much hand quilting you know.

9. Suzanne says:

It’s spectacular

10. Kate says:

Thanks Tim for the 40 weight thread and needle test and showing a photo! It looks lovely and sounds like a wadding I should try. Thanks for the information in your comments about Thermore also, it’s all very helpful.
    Beautiful stitching with the perle thread, enjoying following your progress.

11. Jo Major Ciolino says:

WOW. How do you do the stippling? It looks like a stab stitch (one up, one down, one up, one down) – please tell me you have a magic machine because I LOVE THAT LOOK but I can’t begin to figure out how to do it without it taking me 100 years!
    AND THANK YOU FOR SHARING THIS, it’s eye candy!

12. Kathleen says:

Tim. OMG!! Just love your work. You make it seem so easy. Are going to the Houston quilt show in Oct?

Comments

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )